Ke70 Overheating, Tried Everything!

jluc_93

My KE70's been overheating for the passed 2 weeks. I'll drive it for 30 minutes, no overheating turn it off, drive it again for 20 minutes then it starts overheating and missing. Have changed thermostat, radiator cap, new water pump, flushed coolant 3-4 times, don't think it's a headgasket as it's not blowing smoke, no milky oil etc. Have also bled the cooling system as best I can (had the front of the car on stands). Radiator has also been reconditioned 3-4 years ago, new hoses aswell. I have no clue what else it could be, any help would be great.

There is a rushing water sound underneath the dash when I make sharp turns as it's warming up.

Members dont see this ad

Your head gasket could be gone, but instead of coolant getting into the oil, exhaust gasses could be leaking into your coolant system. Also, did you reverse flush your coolant system. It can also be a good idea to remove the radiator completely and flush it upside down, on its side etc.

If your confident your cooling system is sound, no air locks, radiator is fine, fan is working, thermostat is opening etc then my bet is HG.

One last thing, try driving it without the thermostat in it. Eliminate that as a fault. And check your belts are tight.

Edited by B.L.Z.BUB

Check for a constant stream of bubbles in the coolant by removing your radiator cap and running the engine.

Yep- before you start it one morning take the rad cap off and fill the rad right up. Then start it and leave it idling. if water expands up and starts to pour over the rad top, then bubbles suddenly appear, the head gasket is leaking compression into the water jackets. When it cools it sucks a little water back into the cyl and that causes a misfire when you start it in the morning for a couple of seconds until the plug fires and dries. If you get a small stream of bubbles all the time its pretty bad.

It will lose water every time you fill it up, but only the top litre or so. Does it use water.

The block water jackets may be getting full of rust, but really you've pretty well sorted everything except the gasket.

Yeh as others point out, a head gasket doesn't have to manifest itself with milky oil etc. It could be one and might well last a long time as is, until it goes real good some day and strands you.

It's not a hard job to do on a k engine, even for a beginner.

Thanks for the help guys, bolted on the shroud today and seemed to be running normally, drove it all day. I think the problem was air in the cooling system, pretty sure there's still a few pockets of air in the system, can still hear dripping/running water from under the dash. Thanks again for all the help!