Worth Fixing Ae92 Windscreen Rust

I was given a free Corolla AE92 91 or 92 model with 4AF engine I think. I was going to bring it up to RWC for my wife to learn to drive and to use as a cheap run about, but I came across rust around the windscreen. I've looked under the rubber and used a screwdriver to pick at it to see how bad it is.. looks like its mostly surface rust with some spots here and there with a 1 mm or so of rust flaking off.. I think where it flakes off is probably where the rust holes are leaking some water from the top into the cabin.... Pretty much right around the rubber seal is rust to some degree. Theres a crack in the windscreen on the drivers side, if it wasn't for that I would have brought the car to RWC and just used silicon around the rubbers. Not sure if I can get the crack resin filled then I could leave in the windscreen and silicon it.

So now I'm tossing up if I should fix the AE92 or purchase a 2000+ year model $5000 car which will be a little bit more comfortable..

I was thinking since wife is learning to drive its okay for the AE92 to get a dent here or there plus its a nice small car, but on the other hand if I want to go on a long country drive with family then a $5000 car is probably more better suited for that.. I normally drive a 2 seater Nissan 300zx (z32), so can't really take more than 2 people in that.. :(

For AE92 RWC I think I just need, 1x new ball joint for steering, seat belts replaced, indicators repaired, new rear hatch door, new tyres/brake discs & drums./brake pads and windscreen crack free.

I would be greatful if anyone can give me a honest opinion if its worth fixing the Corolla or if I should go the new-old $5000 car route.

Heres pictures of behind the windscreen rubber and crack in the windscreen. I assume I should be able to wire brush it out, chemically treat it then bog the holes, if its worth it in the end of course?? So just need a opinion on that..

Many thanks in advance!

Edit - Its clocked about 230,000k but the engine has alot of grunt left in it. Actually it really surprised me since its the first gutsy 4 cyl I've ever driven before.. I thought it was more fun it drive than my 300zx.

post-16633-0-40677000-1341465180_thumb.jpg

post-16633-0-57288500-1341465209_thumb.jpg

post-16633-0-61114200-1341465221_thumb.jpg

post-16633-0-80402200-1341465224_thumb.jpg

post-16633-0-57500700-1341465227_thumb.jpg

Edited by darkage

Members dont see this ad

For a free car, go for it. BUT remember the rust could be a lot worse than what you can see. If it costs you $500 to get it on the road thats a pretty good little car for that price, plus if its not what you want you'll make your money back.

It might be worth taking it for a cheap RWC and actually seeing how much extra work is involved.

I can tell you from experience, it WILL be worse than it looks.

I had exactly the same 'little bits of rust' on an AE92 more than once, and you'll find gaping holes behind there.

That said, its not a huge deal to yank that screen out, patch it up and get a new one. Most places only charge less than $250 to supply and fit a screen.

I was very hesitant to take out the windscreen since I know the rust behind it will be worse (its always worse below the surface) plus if I have huge holes there last thing I want to do is weld in new metal etc..

I've researched the type of crack in the windscreen I think its a spider crack.. I believe these types of cracks can't really be repaired so have to get a new windscreen.

I haven't done any body work before, I'm fine with mechanical work.. Whats the best way to treat the rust.. Wirebrush it out, sand it back, rust convert it, then fibreglass the holes or bog? Is there any special way that the surface has to be prepared in order for the new windscreen to have proper adhesion. Not sure if its worth getting it professional treated just for the windscreen area.

I was thinking of a budget of $800 to fix up the car.. new tyres / brakes being the major component.

So far spent $90 on a new battery :) I think its about $75 for a Unregistered vehicle permit. Really don't want to spend too much until I get confirmation that its worthy of a fix up

I guess it might be wise to get all the indicators working on it again, get a unregistered permit for it, and take it down to a RWC centre to get a opinion on it.

Many thanks for your helpful suggestions :)

its a shame there is that crack in the windscreen, else i would have just suggested to keep on driving it....replacing the windscreen forces you to fix the rust:(

and yep, anything more than a ~10mm chip is not repairable.

Have a crack at it i say, rip that windscreen out and see what you have to deal with. you may find you need to add some metal though, or at least some fibreglass.

keep in mind a windscreen man wont put a new windscreen in a car that hasnt been repaird properly.

Yeah damn crack! Thats why I have been storing this car in the garage for so long wondering what to do with it..

I'm fine with working with fibreglass filling, but definitely not at the welding in new metal stage..

Thats one issue, how to know its been repaired properly if I havent attempted such a repair before.. I guess as long as its a solid, smooth surface for the glass then it should be okay in theory..

How much would it roughly cost to get the windscreen frame professionally repaired.. I was thinking something like $500 to $750 perhaps?

Edited by darkage

Good point. Car is located in Mulgrave, Vic.. I might get the wife to call up some chinese bodywork shops in her native language see how much it costs for special price, if not yep I have to bite the bullet take out the glass see whats going on there behind the scenes.. might get a surprise.. not sure if a good one or bad one :) I'll definitely post more photos

Good pick up with the 92', its a common spot for them to rust. Originally the windscreens had a 3 piece trim, the ones up the a pillars had a high profile to prevent water flying off and going into the car if the window was down. In effect/consequence it could collect into the a pillars along with the residual dirt/grime which would cause it to rust. The same applies for above he windscreen too.

Its already had the windscreen changed judging by the pics, the rubber seal currently on there is what should been on there by toyota anyway in my opinion. They seal a hell of a lot better and allow the water to run off much better. A year and a half ago I bought a ae92 and thankfully it had limited rust. Two spots of surface above the windscreen and none in the a pillars.

My windscreen was cracked so I organised a glazier to come and remove the screen and had a panelbeater repair the two spots and thoroughly clean the who windscreen recess with grinder and wirewheel, before treating with multiple sealers and painting. I photographed what he did as a reference for threads like this. The recesses are a good 15mm deep, and if theres rust it will be surface, if there was penetration and leakage it would go as far as the rooflining.

After observing many ae92s, around the wreckers the windscreens tend to loosen up due to lack of sealer which also encouraged leaks. If you press hard enough along the perimeters of the windscreen you can see them raise. I note your rego label is from victoria. After the repairs and paint were done I contacted wizard windscreens who fitted the new screen and seal. The seal they fit is specifically for the ae92 sedan/hatch so the fit is good. The fitter blamed the original trims and sealer for the problems (rust) as even prefectly good screens needed to be turfed out so the fix could be done properly.

Plenty of sealer and a good rubber and you should be good to go :thumbsup: I think I paid $180 for removal and install. They came back a few days after the repair was done.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

I've been pretty busy in the past year with work and fixing major problems with 2 other cars, my Nissan 300zx and sisters Holden Astra.

Now I got those two other cars out of the way, next to focus on the Corolla.

I took out the windscreen a few months ago and lightly went over it with a wirebrush on drill and grinding disc on a rotary, pictures below. The sill is heavily pitted with about 8 holes just on the lip of

the roof skin, biggest hole is on the passenger side where it allowed water to enter into the cabin. Passenger pillar has some tightly grouped rust holes as well and thats it for the holes.. Just heavily pitted, not much area that I can grind back to shiny flat metal.

How do you rate window sill ? Worth repairing with rust convertor/fibreglass?

Have been thinking about taking a tafe welding course since I would love to learn a new skill like that, but probably take me too long to develop my skill so hence the quick fix fibreglass to get my wife onto the road. Shes a dangerous driver so a newer 2nd hand car wouldn't be wise, since I'm expecting a few dents within the first years of her driving. Best to let her gain experience first then move onto a newer car.

Have also been looking out on ebay/gumtree/carsales for better body example Corollas of same model but with mechanical problems just incase theres one dirty cheap.. Repair cost vs another better body example etc.

Appreciate the feedback :) This forum rocks.

Pictures after wire brushing/grinding.

1ooayo.jpg

11170hk.jpg

mr91na.jpg

2dp7r9.jpg

14szls1.jpg

m67tw.jpg

29mm13l.jpg

r2q73l.jpg

Edited by darkage

Ha! I didn't think it was that Epic.. My first car was a Datsun 260z, that rusted worse than cancer.. I remember leaning on the front guard and hearing the rust flakes fall to the ground.

Anyways worth fixing or should I just keep the car in garage and use to practise body repairs :)

FYI - This was pictures before wirebrushing and grinding

jayhhd.jpg

33affco.jpg

Edited by darkage

Got the car for free so doesn't really matter that much. I've enrolled in a MIG welding course, something that I always wanted to do..

If things don't work out, at least I've got a practise car to learn how to weld and panel work on even if it doesn't end up on the road. :) So happy still in the end that I have something to learn on :)

Edited by darkage