4K Cam Grind Options

camKE55

Members dont see this ad

I reckon you want to take into account advertised duration as well as at .050. This pretty much tells you the ramp rate on the cam. The 606 is pretty good for example, I reckon that's what I'll get. A faster opening means that you have the valve more open for longer and as a hell of a lot of flow happens throughout lift, not just at peak lift I think that's desirable. If the motor can handle faster opening then you should do it.

I'd back that- there must be bugger-all flow when the valve is only open a mm or two, so not much happens until its got say 5mm open & from there to 10mm & back is when the work is done.

Faster accceleration of the valve certainly stresses components more so I hope the cam cutters know what they're doing. Its a black art when you go into valve shaping and acceleration waves on the cam.

I have the Tighe 104 in my 4k with moderate mods. Its fairly noticable at idle with a decent lump, pretty awful downlow, but you hit about 3500rpm and youre gone, my mates call my car the only NA rolla with turbo lag, it's quite odd. The pickup after 3500rpm really put a smile on my face.

I was told by the fella at Tighe (can't remember his name this was years ago) that i would have to change my valve spings as the lift is over 400 thou. I didn't. It seems to be working well but i'm waiting for a spring to snap or something. This might be something to keep in mind for large cam change outs.

hope that was helpful haha

EDIT: The guys at Tighe were super helpful too, and the shipping was fast. Thought id add that in.

Edited by RainWarriorDregs