Compression Session

01sik

Members dont see this ad

That's not too good- did you put a shot of oil in that low cyl and try it again. The oil will seal the bad rings momentarily and the compression will go up.

If it does, hook an air compressor up to the sparkplug hole an stick 100psi in at TDC. You will hear the air leaking out past the leaking valve.

Does compression ratio and cams change the compression test out come or not?

Yeah it will. These measurements are an operating cylinder pressure. More static compression will give more cylinder/combustion pressure. A bigger camshaft/s will bleed off the compression.

But back to OP. That reading is fine, usual rule of thumb(for a mild road engine) is if the operating pressure is less than 10% difference, then the engine is still within its service limit. But if it were me and I already had the engine out then I'd replace the rings and give it a "dunny brush" just so you know it's right.

Yes on both.

I had a small heart attack when I comp tested a Small Block and it only had 100psi till I found out that was right on the money for an engine with 8.5 to 1 compression.

Hot/cold motor, thick thin oil, battery and starter condition and weather you hold the throttle open or leave it closed also all effect results.

So I should do it again with throttle full open? And engine will probly stay in when I do the rings and some other bits, a mate has my crane :( so as lone as within 10 percent comparing highest comp to lowest should be still good, I need to get exhaust done too running factory one from the 4k :D