Ke Vs Te Corolla :: Opinions?

brownevan

Hey everybody,

Greetings from Portland, Oregon! I'm a new member of the forum and wanted to get the ball rolling by posing this question; I noticed so many of you have KE corollas, and it seems that the TE is less common on the forum.

Thoughts, opinions?

Members dont see this ad

What diff does the TE have?? Borgwarner or Jap banjo??

Most of the variants depended on local availability and local assembly in bigger countries.

Usually I reckon America got large and lazy motors, Australia got small and lazy motors, and Japan used all the really good gear we love. If countries were just inmporting cars from Japan they got the good stuff, like NZ after it dropped local assembly, but if there was a local factory you got what was being made locally.

I assume Aussie got 4K, K40 and K50 boxes on BorgeWarner diffs, while the USA was getting 3T with T gearboxes and banjo diffs.

from "The 71-74 corolla website"

TE and KE models:

KE models have smaller front brakes and no brake booster. Battery tray on the right front corner. TE models have 9" disc brakes, brake booster and battery tray on the left front corner. TE came with a 2TC (Trueno models a 2TG), and KE models came with a 3KC. KE models had a manual choke as well, whereas the TE models had a "heat riser" choke (air is heated through a tube running through the exhaust manifold, which heats a spring attached to the stock carb, which opens the choke when hot). KE and TE engine mounts are different

http://www.pgrramblers.org/corolla/index.cfm?ContentID=117

I can't see why none where brought in by Toyota to Australia the celicas had T engines so I can't have seen any problems with them bringing them in, probably just no market for them when they were being made.

The TE's had the T series Banjo diffs, T engines and whatnot. I never had any problems with my 3T in regards to reliability and it copped nearly 9k rpm with just a 38/38 weber and an exhaust, only problem I ever had was the dipstick popping out sue to so much pressure when revving to said 9k rpm, so just used an extension spring to keep it put, only reached those rpms on downshift, but was very reliable and a lot of fun, would be even more fun in a lighter chassis like a ke1x/2x I would love to build a 200ish hp 3tc to put in one.

The 2TC will blitz a 4K anytime. Its 1600cc compared to 1300, cross-flow head compared to same-side manifolds, it has a hemispherical combustion chamber I assume, compared to a bathtub, and the race versions made 180bhp, while no-one who was sane ever raced a 4K!

We would all love for KEs to have come out with T motors instead of Ks! The K is definately 1950s technology, the T is 1970s.

I would have loved my KP to have come with a 2TC.... the 4k that's in it has a cam, full 2in all the way back, full top end rebuild, and its zippy up above 3k, but the stock 2tc motor puts the 4k to shame in the low rpm range. I need to have my distributor recurved i think.... my 4k below 3000 is LAGGY, but its quick from 3-6000... I was just curious; I was like "how does this stock 2tc feel so good?"

Grab a timing light and generate an advance curve, then compare it to the work I did on the 5K dizzy in the build in my signature.

You can see the curve mine handles happily on 95octane. If your getting to 2000rpm with less than 25deg advance you can improve it.

What carb are you using? Giant throats & ports will make the bottom end hard to work.

I have a stock 2tc in mine, and I love it even with a tri-matic. And for the reliablility, my parents had a te70 with a 3tc in it. The car got up into the 360k mile range before it was retired with the original engine, t50 trans, axle, etc... It still ran after we parked it.

Edited by Skellington