Miata Suspension Inside A Ke30/te31

loquendo

Hello All, big time fan, big time lurker, first time Rollaclub post...

I'm planning a build for a 1uzfe KE30/TE31 resto-mod project, and wondering what kind of possibilities I would have for IRS, but the Mx-5 subframes seem awfully promising. There are a slew of v8 miatas in america, including a few 1uzfe ones, so there is a TON of info on reinforcing the chassis/upgradedsuspension options.

This will be my first build ever, and plan to tackle most of it myself.

Anyways,

I'm still open to leaf spring options, but no matter what, i will be spending an awful lot of time on the car, and going all out means just what is best for it, so I just want to know if an MX-5 subframes work. I've never seen a pre-1980 irs Corolla, I've spent months on this website among other ones from NZ and USA.

So let me know whats up guys!

Thanks for listening/reading

Lucio

Members dont see this ad

I think the biggest question is what are your fabrication skills like?

anything is possible given the skills, time, resources and cash.

First thing you need to do is research the difference in track (width) of the KE30 and the MX5(miata) to determine if its within a workable tolerance.

Then I'd look at how the Miata rear subframe mounts, what the chassis rail width is, is there a centre brace to hold the diff centre etc etc.

I'd also look at what sort of laws you need to comply with to have it legally road registered too (you guys in the states get it pretty easy compared to here)

This is a similar, yet different conversion to what you are thinking of-

S13 nissan silvia IRS rear end into AE86 sprinter

http://forum.twincam.org.au/topic/1839-adans-spoonter/

Well i have no fab skills or any skills, but I have plenty of help in the town I'm moving to as far as conquering my severe learning curve. BLZ: that was the first time I've ever seen a V8 in a Corolla, but that guy cut the bottom and turned it into a Body on frame. I have also looked into the S13 suspension into a Ke30, because of the many 1uzfe 240sx build threads. The width of the miata subframes are almost identical; i think 3 inches wider than the ke30, which would be perfect. The s13 suspension is 4 or 5 inches wider, and I've also looked into the IS300 (Altezza), and the original SC400 (which Mark used in his 75'.) I just know that the miata had unibody construction and had a rolling chassis which its wheel base would need to be lenthened 2 inches to match the the corolla's wheel base.

The car will be mostly used for road trips throughout america...

so i know anything is possible, and since this will be so damn slow of a build that money technically won't be an issue. The typical car here costs 25,000 to get somethign mildly sporty, and so i am treating this car as a payment program to get my dream car with all the goods.

My main dilemma is finding out what would be better, IRS is not always the answer, and I've seen plenty of great cars with tuned leaf spring suspensions that handle the roads well. I'm not really into drifting or drag racing, I just would like to build a SUPER reliable road car that if given the chance to drive pretty goddamn fast and run around corners on a track.

I just know the amount of info on the V8 miatas is more than that of the 1uzfe specific cars, and most of those cars are pushing at least 100 more horse power than my own personal goal (I'll be running stock ecu and engine internals.) So i figured whatever I wind up with IF i get a miata chassis, I would have plenty of safe info.

I'm not worried about the laws at this time, I've seen plenty of INSANE cars that shouldn't be driven legally or illigally. So...yeah...

slam burgler,

I'm excited too, irs or not.

Once we get settled in, I'll start collecting parts. I have almost every nook and cranny planned out except for the suspension situation. For each idea that I had though I gave my self several options for differencials, coilovers/shocks, brake upgrades, bracing, etc.

I have every single dimension found on another forum of the miata, I am currently looking for dimensions of the TE31/Ke30.

I trust that the leaf spring suspension would work, I've seen some pretty wild sr20/ke30 from your side of the world which are pretty widley documented, so I have plenty of ideas for backups. It just seems like a double wishbone in a Rolla would be pretty exciting. Most of this project will deal with a ton of welding, so by the time I'm done with this project I could probably apply for a job being a welder. :)

I feel like I have a special connection with the Miata (it debuted at the Feb. 89 Chicago Autoshow...around the same time I was born in the same city), and someone had suggested that swap to me and I've never seen a miata suspension in any Toyota before...so now i'm trying to figure out why no one has done it. A google search sent me to a forum where this dude put the miata suspension inside a datsun 520...which was sweeeeeet. Hopefully I won't have to wait until I get a ke30 chassis, but I'd like to see how it is put together. Ya'll probably won't hear from me for a while, but I'll be lurking and learning more.

It's distracting me from my move to Missouri in 3 weeks, haha. Thx again!

Edited by loquendo

Another line of thought you may wish to consider,in one of the UK forums a guy cut and shut a Miata to fit underneath a morris minor so I don't see any great difference in doing it to a toyota.Chop the floor pan to length,cut the floor out of the toyota and join the two together,simple eh!If I can find the linkj I will post it for you to read!

That morris minor is a good example! They didn't even cut the floor off the unibody! I still have three weeks until I even start collecting parts, I do appreciate the help. I came to you aus rolla club guys because you are so fond of the ke30/te31. Most of the guys I know that have these cars fixed up usually love them to look stock with a 1.8 swap; so when I ask them about the swap they seem to get angry.

I personally can't see the difference between that Morris swap, but I also don't know what the undercarraige of the Corolla looks like because I don't have one and the one I almost bought a while back had a overrated body but nothing else and I had no garage to store it or time to work on it (I was still in College.)

How come no body has ever done a MX5/Ke30 Swap? There has to be a reason, it seems like such a good idea to me...

I'm just in the planning stages and you guys have already helped me out so much! If I have anything universally related I'll come to you dudes first.

Thanks!!!

Lucio