Distributor Conversion. Points Type -> Electronic

jay_howie

Now before anyone yells at me, this isn't another "how do I convert to electronic ignition??" threads.

Basically I found this kit on Summit Racing, and also on eBay, as follows:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/crn-700-0292/applications/year/1982/make/toyota/model/corolla?prefilter=1

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/XR700-POINTS-CONVERSION-IGNITION-GT40R-COIL-KIT-ELECTRO-/111090066774?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19dd7be556

And I'm wondering if anyone has tried using this conversion kit to a points type dizzy and incorporated the GT40 coil with the ballast resister (or any coil pack for that matter)?

It seems basically the same as finding a new or second hand 5k/7k dizzy and using that, but the parts can be had easier and you can retain your old dizzy, if that interests you.

This will most likely be the path I will take.

Any thoughts on this setup or experiences would be appreciated,

Thanks

As a side note for anyone who is interested, you can buy new point contacters from Summit Racing also:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bck-171-0250/overview/year/1973/make/toyota/model/corolla

Members dont see this ad

Put one of these in a few weeks ago, works great, buy it from US ebay and it comes out of England

Toyota Corolla AccuSpark Electronic ignition Kit for Nippon Denso

1.1/ 1.2 1966-1977 ,1.3 1978-1983,1.6 1.7 and 1.8 1970 -1981

The AccuSpark™ electronic ignition module completely replaces the points and condenser with a modern reliable ignition system

The kit come complete and ready fit with no other parts required some cars may require 1 wire to be extended

We have fitted dozens of units in our own workshop and these give excellent all round performance with notable gains

The Hall effect trigger and module give better spark voltage improving starting , tick over , and MPG .

This is a good as other systems costing 3 times the price

No worries Agius.

Jzupra, I have had a look into the conversion kit that you linked, seems like for half the money its probably the way to go, do you know if its works ok with the gt40 or other coil packs? ballast resister recommended or no?

FYI just bought one from the US ebay site

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I've done a bit of reading and some people seem to think that having the resister, although not necessary, can increase the life of the dizzy. I was wondering how true this was? Otherwise I will just go with a decent high energy coil as suggested.

I got my conversion kit today!

One other thing to consider may be which leads to use, are standard replacements not suitable anymore?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I've done a bit of reading and some people seem to think that having the resister, although not necessary, can increase the life of the dizzy. I was wondering how true this was? Otherwise I will just go with a decent high energy coil as suggested.

I got my conversion kit today!

One other thing to consider may be which leads to use, are standard replacements not suitable anymore?

Thanks!

How did you go with the Crane conversion kit? Is there an optical sensor for the trigger that's installed in the distributor, replacing the points?

I went with the accu version. And from what I can tell is uses a magnet to deliver the pulse, much like a hall effect sensor. My only issue is that the rotor no longer fits on over this sensor, may have to chop the bottom off it

Edit: Its probably easier to describe with a photo!

post-16211-0-55149600-1374555927_thumb.jpg

Edited by jay_howie