Legalities Of Engine Conversion In Qld

rickfist

sorry if this topic has been thrashed to death but i was wondering if anyone has had a ke30/70 pass engineering in QLD in the last 6=12months since law changes or proposed changes as i was considering 4age/ca18 swap on my ke30 but wasnt entirely sure if any engineers were signing these conversions off of recent also i would greatly appreciate if anyone was able to provide a list of what is required as in suspension brakes etc ...... i know i know search fuction but i don't want to trawl for dribs and drabs like i have been ...cheers rick

• Downvote 2

Members dont see this ad

I had my KE30 with an SR20DET signed off with 6 ADR's back in 2006, and although had a few queries, mods were done at the time, did not require updating,

I am currently building a Mk1 Cortina with the same engine, and have 7 ADR's signed off prior to the 1 Nov 2012 cut off, where the new NCOP has been adopted by QLD on the 1 Apr 13, which outlaws welded roll cages, and no bends in the rear bars, and restrictions on certain types of engines in cars, eg. Turbo V8's are no longer allowed in VL commodores,

CA in the KE seems to be ok, but you need to find an engineer to sign it off, and given the recent changes, be prepared to not only pay to top dollar, but also rejection

Prolly best to find one already done and for sale

um, ring an engineer. not quite as easy as posting on a corolla website, but pretty close......

ring an engineer wow who would have though of that .... i have spoken to a few and they were not keen to be involved in passing anything hence why i asked if anyone has had one passed in the last 6 months .... i also asked for a list of what was done so i could submit it to rta submission to build if its already been done and approved recently then it shouldnt be a problem to use the same formula ... so while i appreciate your input... my understanding is this is a corolla forum for sharing information...not wise ass comments
  • Downvote 1

I had my KE30 with an SR20DET signed off with 6 ADR's back in 2006, and although had a few queries, mods were done at the time, did not require updating,

I am currently building a Mk1 Cortina with the same engine, and have 7 ADR's signed off prior to the 1 Nov 2012 cut off, where the new NCOP has been adopted by QLD on the 1 Apr 13, which outlaws welded roll cages, and no bends in the rear bars, and restrictions on certain types of engines in cars, eg. Turbo V8's are no longer allowed in VL commodores,

CA in the KE seems to be ok, but you need to find an engineer to sign it off, and given the recent changes, be prepared to not only pay to top dollar, but also rejection

Prolly best to find one already done and for sale

nice a sr20 powered mk1 would be a not to common swap i know the pommies love there 4age powered cortys with bike carbs but they get away with murder over there when it comes to car mods..what front end and brake set up are you using ...
  • Downvote 1

my understanding is this is a corolla forum for sharing information...not wise ass comments

right, and wrong... you'll get plenty of wise-ass comments asking old questions.

As far as I know, somewhere along the way you have to pick an engineer, and they are getting less and less enthusiastic to take any responsibility. From that point of view I'd use a KE70- larger, better handling, more stable, newer model... not as cool-looking but more likely to get away with a more powerful motor when it comes to registration hassles.

i have spoken to a few and they were not keen to be involved in passing anything hence why i asked if anyone has had one passed in the last 6 months
yeh good call, if an engineer doesn't want to know you, I'm sure someone on the corolla forum can pass it for you. Is it school holidays again already?
  • Upvote 1

yeh good call, if an engineer doesn't want to know you, I'm sure someone on the corolla forum can pass it for you. Is it school holidays again already?

for true someone on the corolla forum will mod plate my drift pig :osama: ...seriously I'm just after info ....maybe i should have asked does anyone know of a engineer in SE qld that will be helpful... for more than 5sp conversions and bucket seats
  • Downvote 1

I am an engineering signatory for ACT and NSW. What you are suggesting is certainly possible but not cheap. The new QLD laws have a much higher level if evidence required so the cost has gone up to be more in line with other states. The days for $300 mod plates for very modified cars is gone U think. To engineer what you are talking about in the ACT would be around $2500.

Regards

Paul

What I would really love would be for you to run a topic on 'engineering a car'- what you see as the right way & the wrong way to do something, what you see come through that is well done and what is badly done, and what you consider important and what is not.

It may take a month to get the basics on paper, but it would serve as a starting point for all the youngsters thinking about modding their cars.

Give us an overall picture, such as-

-what engine change triggers a brake upgrade and why, how much of a brake upgrade, what is better to do than other things, like rear discs or not, does it just have to pass a brake test G-meter or is there more to it.

-what is considered important in lowering a car severely, such as keeping ackerman steering, bump steer, increasing the size of components, rear suspension problems introduced, the higher chance of losing control with certain suspension setups...

cheers

i am well aware of what is involved ... i am asking has it been done by anyone here in the last 6-12months that was approved after the changes ...what was used and who was the ENG that signed it off ...

I am an engineering signatory for ACT and NSW. What you are suggesting is certainly possible but not cheap. The new QLD laws have a much higher level if evidence required so the cost has gone up to be more in line with other states. The days for $300 mod plates for very modified cars is gone U think. To engineer what you are talking about in the ACT would be around $2500.

Regards

Paul

is it true that you cannot put a v8 into a early holden anymore fx to hr ... this is something i cannot have confirmed ...is it true it was proposed all hot rods built after 1st of june 2012 in qld had to hire a race track for high speed lane change and brake testing but was revised to go off a index of previously tested hot rods ...there are alot of rumours but even the guys dealing with it are unsure ...also why do we need chassis strengthening kit for v8 holdens while NSW does not

What I would really love would be for you to run a topic on 'engineering a car'- what you see as the right way & the wrong way to do something, what you see come through that is well done and what is badly done, and what you consider important and what is not.

It may take a month to get the basics on paper, but it would serve as a starting point for all the youngsters thinking about modding their cars.

cheers

i am more than prepared to do that ... as for getting basics on paper this is what I'm trying to do as i don't fully understand the NCOP ...

information is hard to obtain at the moment ...

i will throw it out there so the references to bein a kid might stop ... I'm a boilermaker so fabrication is of no issue to me ...i have a morris ute project that is getting a hot 4k and 5sp put in it and it only requires morris major front drum to be legal easy as ....

i also have a 327ci chev powered EJ turbo350 9" uc torana disk and rack.. vb or vc commodore coloum etc that was done 10yrs ago

i also started a t-bucket that got to its first stage of the 3 step inspections but since sold ...

so basically if no one has done it recently or know of a eng that is still interested in signing off on modifided cars then let the thread die ...

• Downvote 1