Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ben's 4A-Ge Ae71

Featured Replies

  • Replies 171
  • Views 642.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • How great are cars.

  • Sisal + a quality cutting compound. I can't wait to see how they go when completely cut and polished.     I'll post up on local forums to see if someone will lend me a hand for a six pack..

  • Got started last night. Just need to borrow a crane off a mate to get the sucker out.

Posted Images

  • Author

I'll be getting rid of them - you'll be the first to know...

  • Author

Just paid for some metal bars. I love rare shit.

Can't wait for them to get here!

  • Author

Yep! Just had to get the finances in order to grab them!

Going to look awesome!

  • Author

Day off today - started attempting to clean up the MA wheels that I have - I've put in around 4 hours work in to them and made almost no progress.

 

Cleaning the inside of the barrels is near impossible - 30 years of break dust and crap is caked on and the face has the occaional spots that need 30 minutes of cleaning to remove a spot.

 

Is there a product that I could use other than heavy duty degreaser etc that would work better? Or could I have them blasted or would this damage the wheels?

Head to Bunnings and get $30 worth of the sisal/buffing wheels and compounds they sell for metal polishing. Grab a $20 corded drill while you're there.

 

About 40 minutes work per wheel gets you this from this;

 

post-18751-0-97252200-1400555794_thumb.jpg

post-18751-0-33404800-1400555871_thumb.jpg

 

If you like, hit them with some 400 grit paper first, to get rid of the stubborn stains. But the sisal wheel really takes most gunk off.

 

In hindsight some 80-120 grit around the edges would've taken the harshness off that gutter rash but after a few pints I wasn't getting too fussy about them. Maybe if I ever strip the tyres off I'd give them another hit.

 

For the inside of the wheel I found a wire brush attachment cleaned them up but then it became too much like hard work for little gain.

Edited by Mechanical Sympathy

  • Author

My alternator is fried - https://www.youtube....h?v=4rEOrlM1Znw

 

I'll look in to those drill attachments - I've always done my polishing by hand with polishing steel wool!

I do want to get the inner barrels clean though. So far... Took bloody ages just to get to this.

nifla4d.jpg

3XwIDHY.jpg

 

5 minute test with steel wool and polish compound. Would definitely be easy with power tools involved.

gCpa3PF.jpg

Edited by B-Lugg

Find a friend with a blasting cabinet. I de-greased pressure washed with heated gun, then blasted. Simple. Polishing from this state will work well too if fine sand is used. mine looked terrible when I started.

12d50c31-b63e-4e06-ad18-e6909e6d92d7_zps5094b526.jpg

  • Author

Sisal + a quality cutting compound. I can't wait to see how they go when completely cut and polished.

vEEcaio.jpg

t0v1pjd.jpg?1

v5sat9I.jpg?1

 

 

Find a friend with a blasting cabinet. I de-greased pressure washed with heated gun, then blasted. Simple. Polishing from this state will work well too if fine sand is used. mine looked terrible when I started.

I'll post up on local forums to see if someone will lend me a hand for a six pack... Looks like it worked a treat. If not I'll just continue doing it manually.

Edited by B-Lugg

That is indeed the shit.

 

Did you cut with Autosol? I hadn't considered that as I just got the Josco compounds.

 

Autosol certainly appears to be effective.

Edited by Mechanical Sympathy

  • Author

Autosol is great when it isn't on the built up stuff - you need to use a whole lot of it when doing so.

 

I switched to cutting with Kitten Cutting Compound, it's working an absolute treat!

  • Author

Looked pretty the other day.

Q02bC19.jpg?1

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.