Ben's 4A-Ge Ae71

B-Lugg

• 2 weeks later...
Members dont see this ad
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Buying a bike has been the worst thing to happen to this poor thing. It just sits there.

Makes me sad.

Going to start getting it ready for a couple of track days me thinks.

Things to do.

Re-bush and new ball joints for XT arms

Install camber tops with new arms.

Firmer springs for rear - may go AJPS setup with adjustable perches

Another set of wheels + semis (may get lazy and just run semis on current wheels, not getting much road use after all)

Machine rotors and new pads

Go fast

• 3 months later...

Finally got off my arse and did something about the leaky distributer seal, it's nice to not have plumbs of smoke not coming out of my grill at the lights.

Pretty easy job all in all, the main dizzy shaft seal was as hard as concrete.

I did make the mistake of going of forum guides to begin with instead of just using the Toyota Manual, so my timing was way out. Quick reset of everything and she runs terrific.

I don't have a press and the dizzy looked to have been rebuilt previously so I left the same bearing on there and just did the seal themselves.

The AJPS kit seems to be decent quality seals, will be nice to see how long they last.

Arty pic

BeYzRPi.jpg

Forgot washers, oops.

327OegE.jpg

Edited by B-Lugg

• 5 months later...

My diff blew up again recently :D.

So I put in the parts that have been sitting around for ages and picked up a T series from Rian that will hopefully last a little longer.

Got the sway bar mounts pulled off the old borgy and slapped on the the T series as well.

Car now has T3 camber tops and XT130 LCAs. Had it all aligned and the car feels exactly the same as before, I only put on around -0.5 camber so I'm going to up that to -1 to -1.5 as turn in etc is super light at the moment.

Also threw in a AJPS panhard rod.

Bigger diff and bigger panhard now means my exhaust is fouling a fair bit worse than before so I will have to have it tucked or a new system done.

Still looks pretty.

GVCufRk.jpg

Living 100 metres from the beach is finally catching up with the car which is pretty sad. The rear arches now have rust through there a little bit and the bubble I've been watching on the front guard has now split and chipped a little paint.

Need the motivation to get on top of it early.

• 2 months later...

Rolled by rear guards a little to stop scrapping on the bigger rear wheels.

There's a bit more rust than I thought :(.

Amazing how quickly a couple of years of a car being on the coast can ʞ©$ɟ a car.

Paint is also starting to get pretty sad, bought a clay bar kit to see how much I can clean it up. Don't like my chances too much.

• 5 months later...

She made the trip Queensland --> Melbourne without a hiccup again. Poor thing has done it a couple of times now.

I then proceeded to break it pulling in to the driveway when we arrived. Extractors hit the driveway reversing in which created a pretty epic exhaust leak at the head. So I replaced it all with a new 4-2-1 and 2 1/4" system that seems to work pretty well.

A friend then had a minor incident in it that called for a wheel alignment so while I was there I put new braided brake lines in the front, doesn't seem to make a difference at all but future proofs the system I suppose!

The T series diff I threw in is started to get a little bit grumpy so I am going to start looking for an LSD centre and disc brake upgrade if I can find one on the cheap.

Other than that she's doing well!

Joined the Toyota Car Club of Victoria now to try to get it out a little bit more and might put it on some club reg.

Also bought a new daily when I got here. MCV20R Touring Camry - super lame/cool thing.

Manual V6 which seems to be pretty rare - I think the clutch slave is on the way out but for $400 with rego I cannot complain! I'll slap up a picture or two when I can.

......new braided brake lines in the front, doesn't seem to make a difference at all but....

But the entire internet is convinced it gives better pedal feel! What say you in rebuttal to this?

I'm convinced that the only reason people feel any difference with the lines is that their brakes needed to be blead before anyway, and since they had to bleed the brakes when they installed the lines suddenly their brakes are awesome and they put it to the lines, not the nicely blead brakes.

Impressive you are doing Brisbane to Melbourne trips in this thing!

• 3 weeks later...

What say you in rebuttal to this?

In a system like mine (Stock master cylinder, AE86 JDM front and T-series drum rear) I haven't noticed a difference at all, and my rubber lines were pretty rooted!

Maybe in a larger systems it might make a noticeable difference, but something like this with small single pot calipers it's done bugger all.

You might be on to something with people having to bleed their systems when changing gear over!

Edited by B-Lugg

• 5 months later...
On 10/28/2016 at 10:17 AM, kickn5k said:

Welcome back to mexico. Haha

Did you bring the bandit down too?

Belated - Cheers man! It's been cold!

Unfortunately not, I miss riding pretty badly. Although the three week long riding season down here is already coming to an end. I might buy a grom or something to get in and out of the city easily pretty soon though :D.