Ben's 4A-Ge Ae71

B-Lugg

Members dont see this ad

Day off today - started attempting to clean up the MA wheels that I have - I've put in around 4 hours work in to them and made almost no progress.

Cleaning the inside of the barrels is near impossible - 30 years of break dust and crap is caked on and the face has the occaional spots that need 30 minutes of cleaning to remove a spot.

Is there a product that I could use other than heavy duty degreaser etc that would work better? Or could I have them blasted or would this damage the wheels?

Head to Bunnings and get $30 worth of the sisal/buffing wheels and compounds they sell for metal polishing. Grab a $20 corded drill while you're there.

About 40 minutes work per wheel gets you this from this;

post-18751-0-97252200-1400555794_thumb.jpg

post-18751-0-33404800-1400555871_thumb.jpg

If you like, hit them with some 400 grit paper first, to get rid of the stubborn stains. But the sisal wheel really takes most gunk off.

In hindsight some 80-120 grit around the edges would've taken the harshness off that gutter rash but after a few pints I wasn't getting too fussy about them. Maybe if I ever strip the tyres off I'd give them another hit.

For the inside of the wheel I found a wire brush attachment cleaned them up but then it became too much like hard work for little gain.

Edited by Mechanical Sympathy

My alternator is fried - https://www.youtube....h?v=4rEOrlM1Znw

I'll look in to those drill attachments - I've always done my polishing by hand with polishing steel wool!

I do want to get the inner barrels clean though. So far... Took bloody ages just to get to this.

nifla4d.jpg

3XwIDHY.jpg

5 minute test with steel wool and polish compound. Would definitely be easy with power tools involved.

gCpa3PF.jpg

Edited by B-Lugg

Sisal + a quality cutting compound. I can't wait to see how they go when completely cut and polished.

vEEcaio.jpg

t0v1pjd.jpg?1

v5sat9I.jpg?1

Find a friend with a blasting cabinet. I de-greased pressure washed with heated gun, then blasted. Simple. Polishing from this state will work well too if fine sand is used. mine looked terrible when I started.

I'll post up on local forums to see if someone will lend me a hand for a six pack... Looks like it worked a treat. If not I'll just continue doing it manually.

Edited by B-Lugg
  • Upvote 1

Autosol is great when it isn't on the built up stuff - you need to use a whole lot of it when doing so.

I switched to cutting with Kitten Cutting Compound, it's working an absolute treat!