3K, 4K, 5K How Many Horsepowers Are You K Series Nuts Making?

megamannz123

So I'm rebuilding my 5k, 40over, wade 169 cam, double valve springs, 10.5:1 comp ratio, factory twin sprinter carbs, a little bit of porting and combustion chamber clean up, some bottom end balancing, flows and 2inch exhaust

So what are your estimates for hp? just for discussion, might be interesting topic. What are you guys getting from your K series engines?

I think i might get 100+ maybe 110?

Edited by megamannz123

Members dont see this ad

Maybe 100 at the fly. maybe. Probably not as you'll be restricted by the carbs, and the rest of the specs, although okay don't blow my hair back.

I had a 1360cc 3k with a big cam and webers. 2.25" exhaust. I had I think 87 at the wheels on an honest dyno. That's about 107 at the fly counting on the standard 20% loss through the drivetrain.

Dynos really are best used for before and after to gauge the results of tinkering. Who knows when it was last calibrated (or if it has ever been properly calibrated)

For example: the same engine that produced 87 hp at the wheels on one dyno, came up with 110hp on another dyno. This second dyno the owner made me fully aware it was incorrect (a man of integrity), however we picked up about "7" hp through playing with various things. Thereby still fulfilling its purpose as a tool.

People put too much weight on "my car made 6000hp on the dyno".

• Upvote 1

my 4k's not running right but it made 70hp at the wheels on tuning runs,

running 11.67 comp and a 295 degree 0.454 lift cam with twin side drafts and a 3k head. still more in it. the timing needs alot of work and haven't touched the head yet, and it's running with exhaust manifold i bought the car with.

Never dyno'd my 3K, but when I could beat the small v8's on the street and even a Ford 351 in a 1000 ft short drag....I figured it was alright. (Had to put new bolts in the leaf springs several times when it just twisted the rearend out). It's got the 4:22 geared diff.

Once clocked (and jailed) at 131mph in a 55mph zone...I think that's about 210km/h...the radiator exploded about then, but the engine was great, still hadn't floated the valves.

Made another trip at 3am one foggy morning...101 miles on a 2 lane, couple of small towns on the way where i had to stop at intersections...took a little less than an hour with an average speed of 124mph.

Had enough torque to smoke first and second, burn third and "chirp" fourth quite nicely and yet gentle enough to go like a tank through snow and ice.

Factory spec everything except for ...1100 K head, .20 oversize bore, and two 2-1 headers going to 2" true dual exhausts with 2 big ol' quiet, restrictive mufflers stuffed under there. 175/70-13's. I think the K head on a 3K block is supposed to give it 10-1 instead of 9-1 comp., I don't know, I just know it was fun as hell til I went back all factory. I have to baby it now days.

I've had radiators explode, alternators fly off, fan blades break off and chop the battery in half with the unbalanced fan jerking the water pump out and through the radiator, u-joints breaking and tearing my transmission in half....but the dang engines just keep humming along.

It ran a bit better and sounded way cooler with the true duals than with the 4-1 header single exhaust or split pipe (fake duals).

I cut the collector on the 4-1 and ran cylinders 1 and 4 to one pipe, 2 and 3 to the other pipe then had my Very Good muffler shop fit and route all that stuff to where I had chrome tips peeking out from beside the leaf springs and nice deepish tone. Even though I was essentially running 4" pipe (two 2") I think the quiet mufflers gave it enough back pressure, never had tuning problems or snap crackle pop downshifts..run it on 87 octane.

People would always ask (when they caught up) what the hell I had in there....."A couple o' squirrels, and a cat to keep em busy"

oh...what was the question? :offtopic:

Edited by CorollaNut68

My 5k has pushed 95mph with a stock cam and a 5speed, 4.11 diff. The alternator was over running, the charge light on, 5000rpm. It didn't have anymore and I won't be in a hurry to do it again.

Getting nabbed now would be arrest, instant loss of license and 7 day impoundment.