Ben's T3 Kombi - The Daily.

B-Lugg

I have been looking for another car for a couple of weeks so I had the opportunity to have the Corolla of the road for longer than a day at a time.

A month ago I helped my Auntie buy her new car and she set about trying to sell her old T3 Caravelle Kombi, after a little while she had no interest and lost motivation... so she gave it to me :D.

Make/Model - 1990 Volkswagon T3 Caravelle

Engine - EJ22 Subaru engine conversion

Plans;

I want it to be daily-able, camp-able and people mover-able

Tidy the whole thing up, it hasn't had a very easy life... I've suspected my Auntie's mechanic of ripping her off for a long time now but she always remained faithful to him. It got 'serviced' once every 6-12 months, upon inspection today (2 months after service) there was no oil, oil filter looked 10 years old, the pod filter had to of had 200 000 km's on it... everything wasn't very happy.

The gearbox is mounted to the native mounts of the van, which is just a single point mount and then the bolts to the engine. Turns out the gearbox wasn't even bolted in... the bolt was pushed through on one side of the mount and the gearbox was being held in by gravity, no nut in sight.

- Gasket kit

- Nice wheels

- A touch lower

- New tint

- New bumpers

- Rewire dash

- Repaint faded trims black

Generally just make a respectable daily/camper/people mover out of it. :D

More photos tomorrow!

JFEmbHi.jpg?1

CtFbH42.jpg?1

Members dont see this ad

Thanks guys! It's definitely not something that I would have gone out looking to buy, but now that I own it... I kind of love it!

The FJ22 powerhouse

KsEjxBR.jpg?1

pwm1cws.jpg?1

I snapped the throttle cable being a dickhead, very happy that I did! The cable was corroded to hell and also led to me finding out that the gearbox wasn't bolted in... lol.

Longest throttle cable ever.

FhhaBGt.jpg?1

They also have potential to look nice; my motivation.

zqRyzuC.jpgp9pDcGk.jpgPs1tYuK.jpg

Now you can learn the joys of oversteer in a rear-engined car!

I took a '73 camper back to NZ after living in South Africa/UK, and we lived in it for some months while looking for work. A twin-carb 1800cc as I remember. They handle extremely well and can be very nimble when you get used to sitting in front of the front axle. I think it terrified many a motorist coming around a corner in winding parts of NZ!

In South Africa then usual conversion was to the Ford V4 or V6 motors. The Subaru makes more sense.

• 4 weeks later...

The crank angle sensor gave out today, as quickly as it started - I have to break up with the Kombi. It will be hastily converted into Corolla parts.

If anyone would like a cheap, already engine swapped Kombi that needs a little work, holla at me.