Engine Suggestions

Old Mate

4 age conversion or just build up 4k? i don't want too much power, but i would like to know what people are getting out of their 4k engines. and are there better ways to go than 4age?

Edited by Old Mate

Members dont see this ad

Hot 4K... An aged side-cam 1.3L... just enough to keep up with the traffic... enough to make a lot of noise but go nowhere...

How much power do you want? Is 100bhp OK? 150? 200?? 100bhp is pushing the little 4K pretty hard. You could expect 100bhp/L from a factory racing motor in the 1970s and 1980s, before VVTi and 16valve twincams.

What is the car for? Daily driver to work in traffic? Night drags? Weekend trips away?

Got money?? REAL money? Willing to put $15,000 into it? Minimum of $10,000?? or even just $5000 for a hot 4K?

You could bore the 4K to 1.5L with 5K pistons to help, or go to a 7K with a bit more work.

Lots of better motors for power than the 4AGE, but they all involve 2L. The 3SGE, the 18RG, the Nissan SR20 are all available in RWD and will make driving a KE70 effortless. I found the 4AGE to be OK, but underwhelming, its still only a 1.6L.

You could bore the 4K to 1.5L with 5K pistons to help.....

So I've lost count of the amount of times I've seen you say that....and only that! Ie I think it can be a little misconceived for some younger/newer members. You make it sound like that's all that needs to be done, when in fact...

-is the block really thick/strong enough for the bigger bore? 4k and 5k blocks are not identical!

-what head should one run depending on using either the D dish or O dish pistons? 5k?..... That sounds simple hey!?

-then.... What do you do about lifters and push rods? Solid... Hydraulic? If you put a 3k or 4k head on it you can't just use the old chev/a12 conversion as 4k and 5k's have different lifter bore sizes. Or do you then suggest that you bore the lifters as well for 5k hydraulics? Then what about oil supply for the new hydraulic lifters?

See what I mean?... Saying just "bore it out to take 5k pistons" is about as helpful as "just drop a 1uz in it"

[/rant]

Well, I'm halfway through doing it on Richo's motor.

Its just a matter of boring the block out to take the 1.5L pistons, and enough people have done it and found that works fine. There are no other changes you need to do, just us the shallow "O"-dish 5K pistons with everything else 4K. If I do it I'll deck the block and pistons a tad to help the compression as the dish removes the compression gain from the 1500cc into a 1300cc head.

There's no changes to lifters or anything else.

I just haven't had a motor that needs rings yet!

I suppose that would work provided you don't deck so far that you don't create yourself push rod length issues again. The O dish would have to be a good 3-4mm deep.

Still begs the question though as to weather the wall thickness is up to it? I know I personally wouldn't do it for a boosted motor, or even a well worked club race type motor. Only time will tell I suppose.

No, I wouldn't do it for those situations either, especially something boosted.

The O-dish is 4 or 5mm deep, it would be easy enough to whip 1 or 2mm off the top. We did measure the volume, Richo has the figures.

Filfrederick's 4K twincam went out to 4AGE pistons and hauled great rpm, but until its done 50,000km no-one knows how well it lasts. The list I accumulated from people who have done it is on this page-

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/42407-the-girls-ke70/page__st__60

• 2 weeks later...