Ripped Off On Ke10 Sl Gear Knob?

mattress

I recently purchase what was advertised as a KE10 SL gear knob from a member of this forum. I received the item and after a day or two I decided to compare it with the brochure I have showing the optional SL interior package (gear knob, steering wheel and dash).

Quite clearly the item on the left is different to the brochure. I told the seller I felt the item was not what he advertised it as. He swears black and blue that the item is indeed a genuine from Toyota SL knob.

post-1914-0-79360600-1420842334_thumb.jpg

Then while doing some googling i found the following...

mRPR7u4wpqfFuP88qRkdr7Q.jpg

Now I'm no expert on the subject but it looks as though I've been sold an AMCO item.

So I throw this out to anyone with more knowledge on the subject than myself. Were these ever fitted to Corollas as an SL option?

Members dont see this ad

There might be a difference in meaning between "what the car left the factory with" and "what the seller took out of a KE10". There was a good 35years or more for someone along the way to fit an AMCO to their KE10, then the car got sold several times.

Looks like you're right though, not a factory one.

I bought my XX KE70 with this one, genuine imitation wood. Steve reckons its aftermarket, I'm sure they all came with it stock...

post-7544-0-65365600-1420853965_thumb.jpg

I suspected as much, I just wanted some confirmation. I was hoping you'd stop by for a comment Parrot.

The seller got quite defensive when questioned (not accused) of selling me an item not as advertised. I am partially to blame as I didn't consult my brochure and comparing before committing to buy.

Altezzaclub, I should add that this item is brand new with a part number sticker still attached so it has never been fitted to a car. Therefore I guess it can't be confused as an original fitment.

Edited by mattress

As the ad has now been removed I can't be sure but I think he did picture what I was sent. As I said above, partially my fault for not checking.

It's really not about the money, I'm just pissed off this guy won't admit his fault in the face of the glaringly obvious.

Altezzaclub, you take that back.

Frankly, if something is described on this website as a genuine from a KE1x SL gearknob and is subsequently not a genuine from a KE1x SL gear knob I would expect that person to accept their mistake in describing it as so and issue a refund on return of goods. This isn't ebay, and we are a bunch of likeminded enthusiasts.

If it was described as such, you have been dudded. Benefit of the doubt to them that they may have believed it so. However it isn't so.

And I should have realised my earlier mistake, you didn't buy these aftermarket knobs from your friendly local parts supplier, you bought it from a Speed shop. Those were the days.

Edited for an iPhone induced spelling error.

Edited by parrot

Upon initial contact with the seller after realising the problem, I was after a refund. The seller told me if I didn't like it to send it back but that it was a genuine SL. After some toing and froing he got defensive and irate. He even issued me with what I assume was a semi threat. So in the face of more conflict I'll just keep it and cut my losses.

Whenever I get my act together and finish my car I will need a gear knob and this one will do the job so I'm happy to keep it, just extremely disappointed and dumbfounded that the seller won't admit his fault. He seems to sell a lot of KE1X stuff so he should know what he is talking about and told me "Ive only sold stuff to toyota museam(sic) and worldwide for 13yrs".

For the record this item was bought through gumtree.

Edited by mattress

Interesting that he is a member of this forum you say, but listed the gear knob on Gumtree, you would think he would list it here too ?? unless he was suss on the originality of the gear knob himself ??

Edited by lexsmaz