Clutch Engagement Problem

ronm

I was sure that there are people out there that can build New clutch cables & I found out today that in Melbourne its a crowd called "Speedscreen" i'm not sure where you are, but at worst there is postage ..

But do the sleeve test first to ascertain that it is the cable & nothing else before you order a new cable .. PS, they might need your old one as a sample if you do end up getting one..

Members dont see this ad

I was sure that there are people out there that can build New clutch cables & I found out today that in Melbourne its a crowd called "Speedscreen" i'm not sure where you are, but at worst there is postage ..

But do the sleeve test first to ascertain that it is the cable & nothing else before you order a new cable .. PS, they might need your old one as a sample if you do end up getting one..

I am in the philippines so getting to melbourne for a clutch cable would be a pain. Haha

I removed the dash and noticed i am also losing a little bit of play on a lever. We drive on the right side and clutch comes in on the right of the firewall. The cable travel longer than what you have there. Ill take a photo tomorrow.

You are right. I need to have the cable specially made but we have tons of places that made those here

Ok, that's further away than what I was thinking :)

Good to see your taking the time to look for possible issues, but I think you are making things hard for your self, as I'm sure they all have slop here & there in the pedals etc due to the age of the cars, but have you actually tried fitting the spacer nut as mentioned by quite a few people as slop can be taken up by basically cheating like that & it will work perfectly fine, if wear & stretched cable are the only issue's, but i'm guessing there is probably more to it than that though in your case ( as in the clutch diaphragm is now faulty ) ..

Edited by lexsmaz

I looked into that spacer thing but the cable can't be pulled back enough to fit it.

Btw i did not take apart the dash just for the cable. I found this car junked and there's tons for mess under there so i had to clean it. Haha.

If you can't pull the cable back far enough to fit the spacer sleeve ( & no one is putting any load on the clutch pedal at the same time ) it then sounds like the cable & wear in the linkages is not the problem & I would say you have a clutch release issue & in my eyes most probably a cracked / faulty clutch Diaphragm as I mentioned before ..

Read my earlier post carefully when i explained about checking the clutch take up & release etc & try & follow the procedure as it will help to diagnose the fault & get back to us with your results ..

Edited by lexsmaz

• 1 month later...

I found a spacer (metal tube) that the lower cable end will slip through. It almost looks like a metal guitar slide. It's the same inner diameter as the hole where the cable slips through the backplate at the bottom of the engine so the flared end butts against it normally. It's like you are just extending the depth of the hole When I needed a spacer I just unhook from the clutch lever pull the cable out and then put the spacer before the plate and slip it back through. It looks better than clamps on the top end as long as you still have grooves to work with...I tried to find it to take a picture but can't. I think it's in my toolbox out in the car in the rain so here's a really bad drawing

post-3326-0-58188600-1427018977_thumb.jpg

I have also pulled the pulley off the passenger side (LHD only) and put spacers on the bolts that hold it in place...another "out of sight" option.

The lower spacer will work for both LHD and RHD.

I also rotate the sheath occasionally so it doesn't get cut through by the cable like in the photo above...just loosen the clip and twist the sheath...dump some graphite or something in there to lube the cable too.

Edited by CorollaNut68

I've talked to some people who own ke70 and kp60's who had the same issue. It has something to do with pulley thingy for LHD. If the cable is not sliding properly, it will try to pull the whole c clip section this grinding it.

I was told to lube that part from time to time. :)

The LHD clutch cable is around 5 feet long (1.5m) and has those two pulleys to go around.

I occasionally have to reach under the dash and twist the pulley back, if there's not enough tension to hold it fairly tight, when you release the pedal the cable goes back but the pulley will stay forward a bit and next time you won't get full travel. The pulleys have bump stops so they only turn so far.

The plastic coated ones were better at gripping the pulley and I've just had the thought of maybe using some plastic dip on the part under the dash to give it better grip on my homemade cables.Here's another bad drawing of the route it has to take. And yeah dump some graphite in the sheath or something but the area under the dash where the pulleys are should stay clean. You do not want the cable sawing on the pulley.

post-3326-0-77789000-1427256159.jpg

post-3326-0-82864500-1427260026_thumb.jpg

Edited by CorollaNut68