1981 Toyota Corolla Sr5 Spring Swap

lykuh

So I have a KE70 1981 Toyota Corolla SR5 which is mainly stock.

My springs are pretty soft seeing as they've been the same one for the last 34 years and 140,000 km.

I was wondering if it would be a decent idea to go down to a pick and pull and just grab some decent ones off of a dead car or if I should bite the bullet and just buy coilovers.

I just find that the car leans a lot to the outer on turning and would like a quick fix for that.

Members dont see this ad

after 140,000 km I'd be throwing a new set of shocks at it before changing springs. Wouldn't touch springs unless they are obviously sagged or you want to lower/raise the car.

Well I was hanging out with my friends and I sat on my hood and they all started laughing. I'm guessing if it's shocks and springs I might as well just buy coilovers.

I have never understood the modern phenomena of people throwing coilovers at road cars.

Regular McPherson struts are great with appropriate geometry for a road car. I think most people who put coilovers in guess at spring rates with unmatched dampers, the former usually too hard, and bottom the car out so it "looks good".

You should be able to access some suitable sensibly lowered springs and matching dampers to go in your existing struts. You will likely be pleasantly surprised at the result, save lots of cash, and still enjoy driving the car.

Putting macintosh coat on now..........

I thought a spring would work within its elastic limit pretty well indefinately and never sag. I supppose it depends on the steel they used.

The spring only sets the ride height, so if you add a 50kg person to the 250kg you have on a strut, it will sink by that much more. The shock has very small bleed valves to control slow movements, (ie cornering and people sitting on the guard) so that will control how fast the strut snks when you sit on it.

If you jump up and down on a guard you will use the larger valves that control bounce, and the strut will suddenly stiffen up.

The oil in the shocks degrades with use, so if you feel the car bounces around too much get a pair of shocks, or if they are old wet struts strip them and put in fresh oil. If it rolls too much, get an upgraded sway bar, or stiffer springs, but they will affect the ride quality.