Gearbox Options For Use With 4Age

corollaTE27Fan

I am planning a 4AGE conversion in my KE20 and am looking at gearbox options.

Being based in the UK the T50 box is almost impossible to get hold of so I am exploring options.

I am aware that the ford Type D 5-speed box is an alternative with the right bellhousing which I can get here in the UK.

Do you guys know of any others that can be used that don't require too much trans tunnel mods and that would be available in the UK or Europe?

Members dont see this ad

We're putting a J160 Altezza box behind a 4AGE.

Niteparts in NZ make a 14mm thick alloy adapter plate, so you have to machine 14mm off the back of the bellhousing. It was about $700 to buy.

LEEN do it in a more complicated way and their kit is $3000.

The bell housing looks like it fits in a KE70 tunnel, but the gearchange mechanism is higher so the top of the transmission tunnel needs to be raised where the gear lever goes in.

The ratios are amazing! 4th 5th and 6th are very close so they suit the revvy nature of the 4AGE..

Surely the 4A motor T series box is reasonably available? They were fitted to Corolla GT's sold in UK. Even if you were needing to pay a premium to find one, a lot cheaper than any other option requiring bellhousing adaptors or unneccesary transmission tunnel modifications?

Have a look on AEU86.org This is a Euro based AE86 forum with a good for sales thread. There are some good resources and knowledgeable people on there also.

Edit: I'm assuming you realise there are different T50 gearbox's, and that the early type fitted to a 2T/2TG in a TA22 Celica or TE27 will not fit up to a 4AGE. You need the later type fitted to an AE86

Edited by parrot

Thanks for the advice chaps.

I prefer the idea of the Corolla GT(AE86), just didn't realise that the gearbox from a later series car can be used. Also would the clutch and bellhousing need modification to fit the KE20?

Pete - Just out of interest, could I use the engine from the same car as it would be useful to have an option to the Mk1 MR2 engine that is fast becoming a classic in the UK and 'parts cars' are becomming expensive?

I just want to keep it simple as I am not looking for mega BHP out of it and this will be my first engine swap project.

The AE86 is already in rear drive configuration, so if you can get an engine and gearbox from one of these. it makes things simpler. In Australia we didn't get RWD 4AGE's in any form. The ones here all came from wreckers importing engines or halfcuts. thus it is common to use a FWD engine from an AE82/AE92 which is no big deal, you just need to deal with slight issues with water pipe routing and changing to a RWD waterpump (unless you omit the stock cooling fan). I am not familiar with exact MR2 engine fitment issues but imagine they are similiar to FWD. You also need to remember the inlet manifold will be pointing the wrong way so requires replacement or modififcation. The later T50 box is perfect for your requirements, although rebuild kits can be expensive so don't get one that needs repair.

In reality, any of the 16 valve bigports is essentially a bolt in with the few rear wheel drive specific ancillaries, and smallports are not much harder. The later bigport engines are a sweeter motor than an early bigport in my experience, due to the improved block rigidity. Smallports also have the later block.

20 valve engines are a little harder but there are specific water re routing kits and distributor relocation kits available. Sam Q in Australia who is a good guy with a good reputation. http://www.sq-engineering.com.

Ideally if you can find a cheap AE86 GT with a rusted body, you would have virtually all the mechanicals and electrics you need in one donor. Not sure how common it is to find those in the UK though.

Edit: and using the 4AGE and late T50 you just use the 4AGE clutch.

Edited by parrot

LEEN do it in a more complicated way and their kit is $3000.

seems simple enough to me... costly... yes, although $3000 gets(got) you a fully assembled J160 with theLEEN adapter AND the LEEN shifter relocation - it is bolt it with a T50 bell housing

5qiv7.jpg

and unless I can raise $30k... the LEEN will no longer be available :((

Edited by oldeskewltoy

Surely the 4A motor T series box is reasonably available? They were fitted to Corolla GT's sold in UK. Even if you were needing to pay a premium to find one, a lot cheaper than any other option requiring bellhousing adaptors or unneccesary transmission tunnel modifications?

Have a look on AEU86.org This is a Euro based AE86 forum with a good for sales thread. There are some good resources and knowledgeable people on there also.

Edit: I'm assuming you realise there are different T50 gearbox's, and that the early type fitted to a 2T/2TG in a TA22 Celica or TE27 will not fit up to a 4AGE. You need the later type fitted to an AE86

Also te72 (T18 ) T50 , but only the series 2 ( same box as AE86 ) SERIES ONE is a TA22 box ( 20 spline V 22 spline )