Sr20 Turbo Into Ke70

MR AKE70

hi all, I'm seeing the bank manager soon and need a rough price on the conversion,

SR20 turbo 5 speed, hilux diff lsd, or other (please suggest?) brakes??, suspention??, fuel system??, engineer cert.?? and any other surprize costs??

your help will be greatly appreciated. :)

Members dont see this ad

I was talking to a guy the other night on IRC who has a rusted KE70 with an SR20 conversion and i'm pretty sure he wanted to sell the engine setup..

Personally I'd try to do as much myself or find someone who has done the same conversion to get information on how they went about it..

i'm assuming that because you're asking a cost figure for a conversion, you can't do any work yourself. a rough drive-in-drive-out figure would be between 10 and 15 thousand australian dollars. one of my mates got his 1200 ute fitted with a gze, 180sx front brakes, r31 lsd and some 15" wheels (yes this is the white one with qld plates that anthony kellam did last year). it cost him $16k, drive in drive out

i have heard rumors of ca18 equipped silvias being fitted with sr20det for $5k drive in drive out. but that's a car that doesn't need a diff or brake upgrade. and it is just a rumor

beyond that, ring around and see what places want to charge you. it shouldn't be too hard for a decent place to give you a fairly solid figure. budget a little more just in case. if they f@$k you round, politely say thanks and hang up

let us know what you find out

Give Anthony Kellam a call (07 38234440), he does very good work at a reasonable price. He IS a very busy man, can be rather hard to contact at times and definately has his work cut out, but like I said his work is good and his prices are very reasonable. He should be able to at least give you a ball park figure about how much it will cost you, even if he doesn't actually do the job.

mm, here here

engine prices change alot, have a look in hot 4s / fast fours or call some local importers. when you start doing it yourself, there's alot more options, how to fit the engine in, what to reco/upgrade and what to leave like it is, how to upgrade the brakes, diff, wheels, etc. usually time is in direct proportion to money spent

most important: have a talk to an engineer before you spend ONE CENT, ask what HE wants you to do, and work around that

whenever i pay for a mechanic to do anything, i take my stuff to a guy up the road from my work who buys so many genuine toyota parts he may as well be an extension of the factory workshop. g&h car repairs it's called. one of his mechanics had a ke55 magazine car (david brooks' blue one with 5k if anyone has old hot4s) and the owner graham himself built a ke70 with a 1ggte. he says it was just a tad nose heavy to drive on the street (but i figure if you can make a ke20 with a 327 handle, you can get anything to) but in a straight line - phew! go 1G :)

graham's 1G made 400Nm of torque at the wheels, at 2800rpm or something stupidly low like that. it could also bag up, yeah, pretty well :)

what v6 do you want to use? i hope not a commodore motor, there are plenty other sixes out there with more potential. if i was going to make a totally unbalanced corolla burnout car i'd put a blown v8 in it like YLDTOY, f@$k that thing goes off

vpw do line lock kits pretty cheaply. a line lock kit is an electronic solenoid that you install on the front brake line as close to the MC as possible, and put a switch in the cabin, usually a SPST on the steering wheel, easily within range of a thumb. mash the brakes, push the button, release the brakes, fluid isn't allowed to return so it keeps compressing the front calipers, then pick first and accelerate. this is how all the serious drag cars (i luv u GRIMAS) do Big Smokey Burnouts , they're also just plain streetcar fun :) not sure if they're legal on the street, i wouldn't think a cop would be too chuffed that you had one though

http://www.google.com/search?q=line+lock+kit

Careful when using vice grips, they can damage the brake lines... Best to use proper brake line clamps, they aren't expensive.

You can accually get vice grips that have rounded jaws. Made for crimping gas lines in fridges. Dads an ex fridge mechanic so I just happen to have a pair :)