Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

KE70 4age conversion with an automatic transmission

Featured Replies

Hey guys,

Putting together some plans for a 4age conversion in my KE70 Panel Van. I know it's unusual but I'm interested in putting in an auto trans. My question is if an auto from an AE86 will fit. Would love to hear if anyone has done this before or has some possible options for me.

Cheers

It would I'm guessing work? Probably have to cut the tunnel of course. And guessing the wiring would be the same.

A working auto of that vintage would have to be quite horendous. 

I can't see why an ae71 transmission will not bolt on but unsure if you will have issues with the auto "flywheel" as a 4ac is 6 bolt on the crank but 4age is 8 bolt.

 

If you've ever driven a Toyoglide automatic it turns you off from old autos ;)

Surely the torque converter in an AE71 auto wouldn't be tuned for a 4AGE, you may spend all that effort doing it and work out that it drives like arse.  I'm not sure if there were auto AE86's, but I'd be looking into that.

I just had a look.  Predictably the torque convertor is a different part number to an Aussie AE71

Interestingly they did have an Auto AE86 in Japan, and it had 4 gears compared to 3 in an ADM AE71.

 

 

yeah if you are looking at putting an auto in, then I guess just get the auto gearbox imported from japan, and/or go to a shop and get them to put a modern gearbox on and get it machined to fit.

I'm more of a fan of old autos than these guys, I have an 85 Auto celica and if the box is in good order its a nice drive for a daily.  Just go for it, nobody telling you not to do it has done it, use the ae71 box.  4age has more grunt than ae71 and would do more with the 3 gears than a 4ac would.  U need an 8 bolt flex plate, and that might best be sourced from an ae92 or ae82 if you can find an auto.  Might be a bit of messing around to find a couple of nits and a gearbox with low enough miles, but when you do find it it will be cheap as nobody will want the auto gear in general.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.