How it feels to have a 3tc?

Thanasis NA

Members dont see this ad

I can't think of an 8-valve motor that makes more power than a 16-valve the same size.  Take a modern belt-driven twin-cam with small lightweight valves over an old-fashioned side-cam motor with large heavy valves that still can't flow as much.

If you want it for the cool retro factor, go for it, but its another version of the tractor motor 18RG we used in the rally car... torquey but you could recognise it coming for a Km because it just never revved.  If its just for everyday driving, go for it, you don't need the extra performance of a -GE 16valve every day and it stacks more reps than the usual 4AGE.

3tc and powerful? we talking about the same 3tc? celica engine from the 70s? nothing powerful about that. Probably not even heavy enough to be a boat anchor either. 

With all of the other engines available (4age and associated) theres no good reason to pick a 3tc appart from being retro as altezza suggests.

The best engine conversion is the one you can afford to install 100% reliably and actually enjoy. 

google it, it doesn't exist. 

it's a 7afe engine with a 4age head. been done quite  a few times, there are a cuople of oddball parts to make it work ie some obscure timing belt and i think cooling system parts.

You would be better with an SR20DE and RWD gearbox to suit i reckon. 2L and oem. 

• Upvote 1

I did exactly that about an hour after i posted that message. I am bit of a traditionalist when it comes to conversions. Its gotta be toyota I'm afraid. Except for the 3KB powered Morris Minor ute I built for my girlfriend in the late 80s. She could break traction in second. Good times.

6 hours ago, ke70dave said:

3tc and powerful? we talking about the same 3tc? celica engine from the 70s? nothing powerful about that. Probably not even heavy enough to be a boat anchor either. 

With all of the other engines available (4age and associated) theres no good reason to pick a 3tc appart from being retro as altezza suggests.

The best engine conversion is the one you can afford to install 100% reliably and actually enjoy. 

The 3TC has a bit of a cult following over in Puerto Rico where they boost them to high heaven, the downside of them being basically grenade motors is dulled by them being cheap as chips to replace.  Whilst capable of big numbers (there's a guy in Qld with a TA23 running a compound turbo ~60psi ~500HP 3TC, but even he openly admits it is a stupidly ridiculous thing and is about to replace it with an F20C) there's no real reason why you'd use one here as any money and mods you spend on it could give you bigger gains on a better engine.