Sign in to follow this  
corollaTE27Fan

7j 13 inch Rims - What Size Tyres?

I have aquired some 7J 13 inch alloys that have the right offset but project about 1.5 inches beyond the standard arches.

I want the extra width but did not want to have to cut the arches and was hoping to use some 1.5 inch metal fender flares to cover the tyre projection, similar to the ZTE look. The car is lowered 1.5 inches front and rear.

The question is can I use the wheels without cutting the arches and if so what width and profile tyres would work?

Members dont see this ad

You mean like this?

te27.thumb.jpg.19432082bfb0dcae7ce03dc1ebf861fb.jpg

There's bound to be people who have tried it, but it depends on how you load the car and what the roads you drive on are like. I find the 205/60x14 I'm using bang around a lot and pull on the steering all the time. They're just too heavy.  

On the rally car we've just cut 70mm height out of the rear arch and riveted a Corona front flare over it. It fitted fine, we just used it because the Corona was sitting out in the paddock as a wreck.

1327409314_Rcarflarefitted.thumb.jpg.1626e528b7382a671494b5b85412f9a7.jpg

Edited by altezzaclub

I’m also of the view they are too big, and with modern tyres unnecessary.  Having said that, I ran 225’s on 7’s on a TA22 years back and had no end of grief with the rear guard lip fouling under load and the fronts on lock. Made the car not fun to drive. 

Fitting flares is a major exercise of fabrication on the rear, and a key difference between KE25 and a TE27 levin is the construction of the rear wheel tub and outer skin. 

I don’t see how you can do it otherwise, unless you shorten the diff housing or change to significantly different offset rims  

Pete, by "too big" do you mean too wide, as the diameter is only 13"?

I am trying to achieve the appearance of the orange car in altezzaclub's reply above in my KE20.

Maybe I just need to stick with my current 5J wheels and try some spacers for a similar effect and see if the tyres rub, though I did not really want to use spacers.

Ran 225/60R13 on a 6" rim on the rear of my KE35 with only a lip roll. Had no rubbing issues at all.

The biggest I got under the rear of a KE20 was a 205.

Edited by coln72