4age Into A Ke70

David

Hello

I need some help here;)

I own a KE70 82mod with a 4k engine

I want to change the engine to a 4A-GE from a AE86 GT ( RWD )

I found the engine at a wrecker and a gearbox but i'm not sure if its a T50 or K50

but its from a AE86 GT 84mod

I will remove the 4k engine and gearbox K40 ( or something simular )

I will buy the 4A-GE from the AE86 GT 84mod the engine has gone 140 000km

( my KE70 has gone 136 000km )

the price for the engine and gearbox is about 800 US-dollars, is this a good price?

I live in norway so its very difficult to find a RWD 4A-GE because the AE86 is very rare around here

I have also found out I need to change my clutch, what do I need? should I take the 'new' clutch from the AE86 at the wrecker or buy it from a store ( new )

I also need a new crossmember for the engine? do that have to be from a ae71? or can i use the crossmember from the AE86 at the wrecker?

Do I need something else than that?

Sorry for the bad english

corolla.jpg

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my KE70 has gone 136 000km - :) ! wow, that unherd of around here (calls ian ova to show his under 150000 km wonder :D)

I'm not much use on this topic, but welcome to rollaclub, the guys here know where there on about, u are sure to get some good advice !!!

P.s - ure english is better than mine lol and I'm australian :S !!

Would be easiest to buy a new clutch if your going to replace it, do the clutch, pressure plate and throwout bearing at the same time

Pretty sure both AE71 and AE86 Engine Crossmembers will bolt up the same, you may also need the gearbox crossmember too..

You will need the clutch pedal box out of an AE71 / AE86 as KE70s came with the cable clutch and have to be converted to Hydraulic

Also an AE71 Tailshaft will be required as the K40 / K50 (KE70 gearboxes) splines will differ from that of a T40 / T50 (AE71 / AE86 Gearboxes)

Would also suggest a larger radiator, as the KE70 radiator is designed for a 1300cc engine not 1600cc (rip one out of an AE71 / AE86)

Might be good to also upgrade your brakes to AE86 brakes or something bigger

So i have to buy:

4A-GE engine from a AE86

gearbox i'm not sure if its a T50 or K50 from a AE86 ( how do you check? ) does both fit my KE70?

crossmember from AE86 for the engine and gearbox

clutch pedal box from AE86 ( what is a clutch pedal box? )

tailshaft? what is this?

radiator from a AE86

brakes from a AE86

that's all I need?

can I change everything myself? ( I have a couple of friends that have alot more experience of cars than I have, and they said they would help me )

how much do you think all this will cost me?

So i have to buy:

4A-GE engine from a AE86

gearbox i'm not sure if its a T50 or K50 from a AE86 ( how do you check? ) does both fit my KE70?

crossmember from AE86 for the engine and gearbox

clutch pedal box from AE86 ( what is a clutch pedal box? )

tailshaft? what is this?

radiator from a AE86

brakes from a AE86

that's all I need?

can I change everything myself? ( I have a couple of friends that have alot more experience of cars than I have, and they said they would help me )

how much do you think all this will cost me?

Gearbox must be a T40 / T50 to fit a 4AGE, not sure how to identify them, just ask at a wreckers or get one when you get the engine that definatly suits it.

Clutch pedal box is from the clutch pedal, mounted through the firewall to your Clutch master cylinder

Tailshaft runs from the gearbox to the diff

Most of the stuff should be a direct bolt in, may need to play around a bit to get the clutch pedal box in, but apart from that anyone with a decent workshop should be able to do it themselves.

hard to say how much it would cost, prices vary, it all depends on how cheaply you can source the parts..

• 2 weeks later...

How do I change to injection? isn't that very difficult?

I asked a repair facility to do the whole job ( change engine,gearbox,clutch,injection, brakes )

but that will cost me about 16000NOK ( $2000 US dollars )

is this something I can do myself?

4K Gearbox will suit a 5K engine no worries, 4K and 5K engine blocks are the same only major difference is the stroke of the 5K being larger...

no, the stroke is the same between 4k and 5k (73mm). 5k cranks have 4k cast on them. same crank.

5ks have larger bore 80.5mm, k/3k/4k have 75mm bore.

just be careful as some 5ks have a thicker flywheel, which can cause clearance problems with some earlier boxes in the bellhousing. you could always use an earlier 4k flywheel if this is a problem. probably not a problem with your later injected 4k. 4k-e isn't it?

think the 5k's came standard in vans (liteace?).