I’ve picked up an 82 ke70 4K and the previous owner has done some dodgy wiring. Looks like the main harness has been cut as well as lots of other dodgy stuff (pictured). When I try to crank the engine about 50% of the time I just get a little click (like when the battery is dead flat) and then the other times it only turns over very slowly (even hooked up to another running ae82) I think it’s something to do with the wiring cos it’s very dodgy and I’m not sure what the wires that have been cut or unplugged previously went. Some help identifying or pics of what the engine bay wiring is meant to look like would be great

IMG_2014.jpeg

IMG_2011.jpeg

IMG_2010.jpeg

IMG_2017.jpeg

IMG_2012.jpeg

Members dont see this ad

Save yourself the heartache and get a replacement loom form a wrecked car.

You will be chasing your tail for ever.

Look on FB marketplace for something local.

If you are in Melbourne, there is a not very messed with KE70 auto at Imlach's.

Still quite complete when I saw it a couple of weeks ago

I don't know, but believe it is very minimal.  Many have converted auto's to manual.  I believe there is only the "start only in park" wiring. But this is at the transmission selector and I doubt you will be changing that bit.

Pull out the starter motor and check the solenoid connections. You can un-solder the +ve wire that goes into the solenoid and take off the end-cap, then look at the two contacts and the copper bar for erosion. I've put a washer under each contact before, that puts them closer to the bar and gives them a few more years. Check starter motor brushes and the burn on the commutator as well, it sounds like worn-out brushes.

I've put a wiring diagram up here-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s0xs2udvrv9qfl2/downloadfile.jpg?dl=0

and although you can't absolutely guarantee the colours it will give you a good idea of what each wire is meant to do.

That's a 'dry' coil, I've never seen one on a KE70, much too modern.  Obviously it runs with it, and it looks like it is running on the 9V ballast resistor. It won't affect your poor starting anyway. Photos 2 and 3 are stock, the loom in the car did a lot of extra things that Aussie never fitted.

The first photo shows wiring that on my car does the engine loom, oil pressure and water temp, and the red wires are usually lights. The previous guy must have run other circuits if everything on your car works.

• 4 weeks later...

Purchased an 82 KE70 4K, plagued by shoddy wiring from the previous owner. The main harness is hacked, accompanied by various other questionable modifications. Engine cranking issues persist—50% result in a feeble click, 50% turn over sluggishly. Suspecting wiring havoc due to past tampering. Seeking guidance and images for restoring proper engine bay wiring Cash for cars Brisbane

Edited by ali676

The basic, wiring for the ignition, starting, & alternator circuits is very simple.  My suggestion, would be to forget about the original harness, & wiring, if it has been badly hacked; & just hook up a few tempory wires between dizzy / coil / & ballast resistor (if fitted).  Then a simple push button between battery +ve & starter relay, & you should be able to get the  engine to run.  If you have a carby, with a electric valve on it, you will need to supply power (+ve 12V) to it also.

Once you have the engine running, you could maybe introduce the original wiring back into the system, until the engine won't start or run, then you'll be able to repair the wiring concerned. Other ancillary circuits in the engine bay, like lighting, horns, & temp & oil press sensors are easy to add. 

I once completely rewired my engine bay, by cutting the main harness, where it comes through the firewall, from under the dash. Tedious, & time consuming, but a great result.

Cheers Banjo

How's the starter motor & solenoid?  It may just be worn out electrically. The wiring diagram above will show you which minimal wires you need to start it, as Banjo says, but it is a lot of hours chasing wires once someone has been cutting and replacing stuff. I've done several now and am looking at another to upgrade the ECU in my car, but it looks like a daunting task!

There are a lot of wires you don't need, the looms included a range of add-ons that were never fitted here such as anti-pollution gear needed in California.