Seeking More Power

STU84W

i'm working with a mate on his ae112, and we're looking to try and get as much power out of it as possible. at the moment, he's wanting an increase in the lower end power, and wants to improve responsiveness as best he can.

he's currently got a 2" catback and pod filter atm, but a CAI is coming very shortly.

being a noob with toyotas, what sort of things can we do to squeeze out any extra power?

i think its the 4afe engine?

Members dont see this ad
i'm working with a mate on his ae112, and we're looking to try and get as much power out of it as possible. at the moment, he's wanting an increase in the lower end power, and wants to improve responsiveness as best he can.

he's currently got a 2" catback and pod filter atm, but a CAI is coming very shortly.

being a noob with toyotas, what sort of things can we do to squeeze out any extra power?

i think its the 4afe engine?

As it's a AE112, it'll have the 7AFE engine (unless it's the limited edition Sportivo Turbo, in which it's still a 7AFE but with a turbo added). Not much exists for 7AFE engine internals, so most gains are going to be made in exhaust and intake, albeit minor. If you want serious power out of them you'll have to go the GE head route, which involves either a smallport or 20V head, plus or minus a turbocharger. None of the cams that you can get for 4AGE engines will fit the 7AFE head, and stronger rods are extremely expensive and hard to find

hmm

how disappointing. i had assumed that things would be limited, because i haven't been able to find much, but i didn't realise it would go as far as there is nothing availabl

so is it the 4age head that can be transferred? or the ge head from somewhere else?

hmm

how disappointing. i had assumed that things would be limited, because i haven't been able to find much, but i didn't realise it would go as far as there is nothing availabl

so is it the 4age head that can be transferred? or the ge head from somewhere else?

4AGE, either smallport, bigport or either of the 20V (silvertop, blacktop) heads are what you want, but be warned that you'll need new timing belts (Porsche 944 ones fit for the smallport head, I believe, no idea for the 20Vs), as well as relocating things that hang off the head. It's been done a fair bit before though, so you're not exactly breaking new ground, apart from the fact that you're keeping it in a 112 (usually gets done in AE86s or 92/101/111 Levins)

couldn't you re-map the ECU???

not worth it for minimal gains on the stock engine.

unless he gonna tear the engine down and rebuild it with stronger internals(ie stonger rods, forged pistons, 4age head, etc etc) coz the standard 7afe's don't like like high revs :hammer:

edit: i think there only 2 or 3 companys the make the stronger rods for the 7afes, and 4age pistons can be used as it was only the stroke and not the bore that was increased with the 7afes

Edited by MYSTIK

Well thats a swift whack to the sack ant it :jamie:

Why don't 7AFE's like the high revs?

:hammer: yes it is :lolcry: don't get me wrong 7afe is a good motor.

they bend rods @ high revs upgrade the rods and the problem basically dissappears. oh this is from what ive been told and what i have read while doing reseach :P

:P yes it is :P don't get me wrong 7afe is a good motor.

they bend rods @ high revs upgrade the rods and the problem basically dissappears. oh this is from what ive been told and what i have read while doing reseach :)

Strengthen the rods and the crank will be the next thing to go. With a little bit of work, and keeping within sane rev limits, you should easily be able to keep up with bigport twinkies and SXs, but smallports will still pull away. However, come hill-time and you should have an advantage from the torque

hmm

yeah its a pity that there's not much avail. for the AE112.I'm driving one myself..its a great car to drive arnd..but lacks that bit more power..

currently in talks with my mechanic to source for the Hi-tech extractor...which is gonna cost abt close to $500 fitted..other than that..my mods are pretty much the same as ur mates..sri and cat-back exhaust.

good luck with the mods dude :P

Well thats a swift whack to the sack ant it :P

Why don't 7AFE's like the high revs?

haha, it sure is. we may look into the head transplant much further down the track, but i'm not too sure whether we'll ever get that far. he's concentrating on the exterior for the moment, cos its his daily driver as well. but he also wants to be able to hold his own as much as possible as well (as we all do).

so if we can't increase the power, what sort of things can be removed to increase the power/weight ratio?

and i highly doubt it, but has anybody thought about ITB?

the rods can handle 7500 which is all you need.

they can also take quite a bit of power

revs kill rods not power.

also you can't just put a 4age head on a 7afe block, if you do you get about 7.5:1 compression!

so you need the 4age pistons which means a rebuild