Ae71/ke70 ?

Beau-Jangles

Hey can anyone tell me the difference between a ke70 and an ae71?. Is it just the 1.6 litre engine or is there more.

There is an early 80's model corolla i go past every day with a 1.6 litre, zorst (muffler tip), stocky lookin 14" rims, looks to be lowered an 5 spd manual. Wondering if i should offer some money an what these could be worth. This thing looks to have not moved more than 10 metres in the past 2 years an it's a sorry sight to see it sitting there. Is in decent condition but with patches of rust around the place and fading paint.

Any help would be awesome. Cheers :P

Members dont see this ad
  • 1 month later...

Apart from the engine and box, the other differences are the outside looks. (there maybe a few differences to the interior, but i haven't looked yet.) Ke70's came out with to front ends, one where the headlights amd grille are verticle, and the other one is the same as the ae71. I have heard a few people (wreakers, mainly) refer to the latter as the ke70-late. I believe that Toyota was swapping and changing between the 2 fronts in the last couple of years before the ae71 was released. I also believe that these 2 fronts are not interchangable, but I'm sure. Hope that helps

• 2 weeks later...

for the record there is also a few other differences which include:

ae71 has a hydraulic clutch, where as no ke70 ever did.

the ae71 also has a different shaped breakline which crosses over to the passenger side strut tower. as it needs to shift over a bit to fit the hydraulic master cylinder.

besides that they are the same shape

The fronts on the KE can be changed. I have an '83 model with the '84 front.

The gearboxes in the KE are different to the ones in the AE. The KE 5spd is K50 and the AE 5spd is T50.

There is many little differences between the two cars including;

Pedal Box

Crossmembers

Dash

and i believe the AE is slightly longer than the KE

What do you want to do with the car?