Fuel Pumps And Surge Tanks

Des

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The efi tank will have baffles in it to save you needing a lift pump and/or a surge tank.

i don't have any plans of a surge tank at the moment, what pressure will keep the fuel up there nice like i don't want it to lean out when ya put ya foot down for a bit.

You need either a surge tank or an EFI fuel tank. You CANNOT get away without one or the other. I know people who have tried and failed miserably.

I use a Bosch 040 in-tank pump on my Silvia. Theres more than enough fuel to supply a 4AGZE up to crazy power figures (somewhere around the 400hp mark provided you fit injectors that can feed that much fuel into the engine). Alternativly the 044 is external and supplys even more fuel (up to ~600hp :lolcry:)

if i get a surge tank and a external efi pump can i keep the carby tank and the same sender unit and it be correct.

Yes but you will also need a lifter pump.

Pressures for the EFI fuel pump are up in the 50-60psi range. I think the Bosch pumps are rated at 73psi (5 bar).

Yep that'd be fine. Try to get an internal lift pump from a VL or similar if you don't want excess noise.

I know someone who runs without a surge tank. It's an internal holley pump feeding a VL High pressure pump. He just needs to keep the fuel above the bottom 1/8 of the tank. That said it's in an offroad racer and probably wouldn't see the lateral G's that you'll get with you car.

• 4 months later...

Sorry to dig but i feel this thread still has some life left in it.

Ive decided on a bosch 044 external pump because they will out perform my motor and i found them cheap.

I will most likly get a VL intank lift pump.

Now i need a surge tank, My uncle welds up gas tanks for a living so he said he will make me one for cheap but I'm not sure on what size i need as in a 1 ltr or 2 ltr or god forbid even bigger ?

1.5 to 2 l will be fine, i use a bosch 039 pump, 73psi flow upto 450hp.

I'm using small bosch lift pump into a surge tank then feed the hi pressure pump on my 20V.

Almost the same setup on te v6 rolladore but i used the intank commo efi pump and put it into the rolla tank and that feeds the surge tank and feeds a bosch hi pressure pump.

I tried the Rolladore without the surge tank but found when doing doughnuts it would run out of fuel to the pump.:y:

do not put high pressure through the carby lines!

either get proper fuel lines made up, or use high pressure efi rubber lines.

id go withthe proper metal ones

all this is covered on the internet in a few different write ups by the way

Edited by love ke70