1984 Ae71 Panelvan

Nitephyre

Well ladies and gruntlemans, I bought Yota's van, and I'm very happy. Thanks for all the extra bits mate, some will come in handy :D

Anyhow, having 340,odd kays on it, there's bound to be some problems.

1: It's running rather hot, sitting at half way on average. So far I've done the following:

I gave the system a few flushes because it was running water (rusty at that) not coolant. I tried a bottle of radiator flush but it didn't clean that much crap out, so does anyone recommend something that works well at cleaning out corrosion sludge from the system well?

I decided to check the thermostat, which is working fine, but now I need to get some gaskets because superbodge don't have the correct ones, as I found out yesterday. I'm thinking I may as well replace the inlet housing and waterpump gaskets too while I'm bent over the car f@$king my back up. :P

Also, the radiator is in pretty bad shape, with alot of the cores on the front just falling to pieces when touched , I doubt that's helping :D (So does anybody have a decent condition AE71 radiator they might want to part with?)

2: It's also running a bit rough, mainly on startup, and it's chewing through fuel like the Century :)

I'm totally confused by all this f@$king emissions crap on it, gimmie a Webber anyday :P

I checked the timing and it's pretty well spot on and the plugs seem fairly new. I've tried playing with the fuel screw but that didn't seem to help much. Filter looks good too. So if any of you 4A people can give me some ideas that'd be good.

3: It's bouncier than a whore on a friday night. My back is rooted after a few hours of pizza hooning.. (err safe and timely delivery :D). Then again, with all that unladen space in the back, that's no surprise (also makes for 2nd gear chirpies :D). The shocks are pretty new in the back I think Yota said, but maybe my leaves need to be reset firmer (and lower ;))

4: The standard T40 is rather notchy... I'm not sure if it needs oil or not, but I'd be interested in a GC T50 for the right price..

Anyhoe, that's the essay for the moment... I'll get some new pictures of it once I've managed to get the problems sorted, put my mags on and given it a good grooming. Yota, you mind if I use the pics you took for my website?

Cheers, Matt :D

Edited by Nitephyre

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1: It's running rather hot, sitting at half way on average. So far I've done the following:

Also, the radiator is in pretty bad shape, with alot of the cores on the front just falling to pieces when touched , I doubt that's helping :( (So does anybody have a decent condition AE71 radiator they might want to part with?)

I know it's going to hurt, but I'd start with a re-core/ good 2nd hand radiator and work from there.

2: It's also running a bit rough, mainly on startup, and it's chewing through fuel like the Century :D

I'm totally confused by all this f@$king emissions crap on it, gimmie a Webber anyday :)

I checked the timing and it's pretty well spot on and the plugs seem fairly new. I've tried playing with the fuel screw but that didn't seem to help much. Filter looks good too. So if any of you 4A people can give me some ideas that'd be good.

I think you're on the right track with carbie. If you kow anyone with a sniffer, it might be a good start.

3: It's bouncier than a whore on a friday night. My back is rooted after a few hours of pizza hooning.. (err safe and timely delivery :lol:). Then again, with all that unladen space in the back, that's no surprise (also makes for 2nd gear chirpies :D). The shocks are pretty new in the back I think Yota said, but maybe my leaves need to be reset firmer (and lower ;))

If you're after a reset, pop up and see Brian at Pedders in Geebung, tel him I sent you. He's good value and does an excellent job.

4: The standard T40 is rather notchy... I'm not sure if it needs oil or not, but I'd be interested in a GC T50 for the right price..

Can't help here, but interested in taking the t40 off your hands when you swap.

Cheers

R

thanks for the info guys :)

what's a sniffer robbo? (hate sounding clueless but I am sometimes)

Didn't check the points or pull the plugs out yet, but they looked new from the top side. The leads are (while standard) look good.

What's a 2nd hand rad usually go for, expensive I gather? :(

hmm, $25 aint bad... though it doesn't look quite right, prolly is though

Still need to track down some gaskets anyway though, will have to go see parts at kedron tomorrow and find out how much i'm gunna be raped for them

Cheers, Matt :D

Ok I missed the auction for the water pump, but I DID score a nice tacho dash, $80 shipped :D

On another note, does anyone in Brissy have a fairly decent radiator from an AE71 (needs to be for a 4A-C)... I've got some prices and brand newies are around $360-$400.. or a recore is around $300 :jamie:

I'd like the fins to be in decent shape, and not just falling off when farted on by a flea :/

Stupid heat issues and carbie issues are giving me the shits.

Nick, your seca has a 4A-C right? Can I come see you on Sunday to see if you can diagnose some of this shit for me, I'm lost :(

Cheers, Matt :(