Johnny T's Superchargerd Ke55

johnny t

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh 10psi geez what and it didnt do ne damage?? i want mine to run that! yeah well when i got it looked at b4 i put the sc set up on the mechanic said that it was almost over cammed ill get a boost guage hopefully this week.. because mine is 60 thou over i didnt think that it woulda made much diff between a 4k and 5k?but I'm no expert!

how can i get it to run more boost now?? when i put my foot down bout half way or so it sorta takes a lil bit to get going like the power is sorta delayed would cam overlap cause this? johnny t

yeah but how can u get so much more boost in ur 4k with the same set up??? i dnt understand that ... its got dex 3 in it that redy colour oil... apparently thats good shit... yeah my thermo is held on by string cause thats all i hads at the time and i wanted it goin so i bodged her up at doesnt move..ill get anotherone that fits properly when i get round to it!

Edited by johnny t

I got more boost in the 4K, because there is physically less space in the cylinders than the 5K....And I used normal engine oil in the carby and it was great.

You will have to try a pulley and see, I don't know any measurements for certain boost.

And it depends on the tuning, how you drive it etc as to how much boost you can run. There is no possible way for me to predict how long your engine will last.

If you pulled the SC off it and had it badly tuned and drove it hard it wouldn't last either.

So keep it tuned, drive it sensibly, keep fresh oil and filters on it, and it should be fine

• 3 weeks later...

Use these calculations to work out pulley sizes..

When fitting a supercharger, you should match the swept volume of the supercharger to the size of the engine. If the choice is made carefully, problems from overboosting and the required paraphenalia to solve these problems will be minimised.

The supercharger will also be kept in its safe operating speed with correct selection.

To choose a setup you need to know :-

1. Engine capacity

2. Maximum engine speed you will be using.

3. Boost level desired

I am setting out the calcs needed for a 1200cc engine in the steps below.

FIRST CALCULATION (Engine Litres/min @ 0 Psi )

Multiply engine capacity (in litres) times maximum engine Rpm. E.g. 1.2 litres x 6000 rpm = 7200 litres/minute. Divide this figure by two as engine only fills every second stroke. (7200/2 = 3600 litres/min.

This is the engines air requirements in litres/minute at 0 Psi boost.

SECOND CALCULATION (boost ratio)

Add the boost pressure desired (7 Psi) for the engine to 14.7 Psi (atmospheric pressure).

(7 psi boost desired +14.7 =21.7 psi)

Divide this answer by 14.7 and this gives the boost pressure ratio. (21.7/14.7=1.476) This is the boost pressure ratio above atmospheric pressure.

THIRD CALCULATION (Actual air requirements @ desired boost)

Multiply the boost ratio by the litres/minute obtained for 0 Psi and you get the actual air requirements in Litres/min for the engine at that boost. In our example this is 3600 litres/min X 1.476 = 5313.6 litres/min for 7Psi boost.

To decide on the correct size of supercharger you need to know :-

1. The swept volume per revolution of the supercharger. (Eaton M62 1 litre/rev, SC14 from a 1G-GZE 1.5 litres/rev, SC12- 1.2 L/rev)

2. The maximum continuous safe operating speed for the supercharger. (Eaton M62 14000 rpm continuous, Toyota SC14 12000 rpm??)

3. The maximum pressure that can be safely produced by the supercharger continuously. (Eaton M62 12 psi, SC14 10Psi??? teflon on rotors melts??)

CALCULATION (Supercharger rotor speed)

Divide the desired air flow (5313.6 L/min) by the swept volume of the supercharger (SC14 from the 1G-GZE is 1.5 litres per revolution). This will tell you the maximum speed the supercharger rotors must be run at to produce the volume required.

5313.6/1.5 litres = 3542.4 rpm for the SC14.

5313.6/1 litre = 5313.6 rpm Eaton M62

CALCULATION (Pulley size ratio)

Divide the rotor Rpm by maximum desired engine rpm to get the drive ratio of the pulleys. For an SC14 on a 1200 @ 7psi boost the desired supercharger pulley ratio is

3542.4 /6000 rpm = 0.5904.

EXAMPLE OF CHANGE OF DRIVE RATIO

If the 1200 cc engines supercharger pulley ratio is increased to 0.75 using the 1.5 ltr/rev SC14 charger, the volume of air produced when running to 6000 would be 6000 x 0.75 x 1.5 litres =6750 litres/min

Boost produced would be 6750 litres/3600 litres (at 0 boost) =1.875 boost ratio For Psi boost ((1.875 x 14.7) - 14.7)=12.86 Psi.

if using an SC12 just substitute 1.2litres/minute instead of the 1.5litres/minute for SC14..

if you want to get even more technical the sc14 is actually 1.42litres/min! and even more so use the exact displacement of your engine eg. 3T-c is 1770cc..

Hope this helps.