Ke25 - 4age

LINDSAY

Hello all

i have finally got some pics of my work in progress , about february the 3K in my KE25 had just about had enough

justgotwheels6jw5.jpg

enginebay1old1lf9.jpg

So i got myself a 16V 4AGE with T50 , it was all setup for RWD (plenum , thermostat , etc)

and ripped out the 3K and got to work . First up me and my Dad put the engine in its place with the AE71 mounts that it came with , no go , the mounts were too wide for the brackets on the x-member so we had to get started on making up some custom ones

rhenginemounttc9.jpgrhenginemountrc9.jpg

rhenginemount2gg2.jpglhenginemountbg9.jpg

these are the mounts the me & Dad came up with , made from 6mm steel plate . we used MDF board to get the shape of the mount pieces and used them as a template on the 6mm steel , cut the steel shapes out , then while the engine was suspended in place by the engine crane tack welded the various shapes together as these assemblies , then took them to a steel fab place and they welded them properly for me .

enginebay2halfwayie8.jpg

betweenengfirewallbw0.jpg

Got the engine mounted nicely now with just enough room at the back then i noticed the mount was right inline with where the oil filter should be so i had to install a remote mount oil filter setup like this

oilfiltermount2cg1.jpg

remoteoilfilterhi2.jpg

Edited by LINDSAY

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

next thing to get done was the clutch master cylinder needed to be installed , to do that i took some MDF board and made it the shape of the clutch m/cyl flange , then traced around that onto the firewall where i thought it should go and started drilling small holes around where the whole in the middle should be then chiselled between the wholes and enlarged it for the m/cyl to go through . i used an AE71 clutch m/cyl just had to shorten the push rod a bit .

brakeclutchcyl2ra5.jpg

clutchcylinsidexg5.jpg

Edited by LINDSAY

i had to then finish the cooling system , basically just find some hoses that fit and are the right shape . It got a little bit hard when the bottom hose outlet on the radiator is the oppisite side of where it is on the engine , but a trip down to pick and payless found me a cooling pipe from a mitsubishi colt that i cut down a bit and looks like it'll do the job .

bottomhosesetuphr2.jpg

Heater hoses needed to be re-routed with a couple of elbow barb fittings

heaterhosesetup1ws3.jpg

put the plenum/manifold on the other day to check if i had clearence from the master cylinder , looks fine for the moment but i think that i might have to go a dual circut m/cyl but i might leave that untill i get to the stage of brake upgrade.

inletmanifoldclearenceak4.jpg

so this is what its lookin like at the moment

enginebay424906db4.jpg

Nah , i wasn't planning on it .Where it sits right now is sort of reinforced and it is very stiff there too (busted a couple of drill bits getting through)plus i'm trying to stay away from welding as much as possible , my old man has got the welder at his place and we're both pretty average welders anyways .

is it an engineering requirement or something?

looking good, the 4A looks like it should be there. Good to see you having a go at the conversion yourself. It is very satisfying when you finish, to know... I DID THAT. Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

Not a fan of chromies on old rolla's but this one looks like it works.

Edited by OKE055

Thanks for the comments guys , yeah can't wait to get the beast going . I got busy on the weekend on putting an unleaded filler neck in ( engineering req.) seems a bit silly when you can't even buy leaded fuel anymore . I took the filler neck of a 87-90 Mazda 929 at pick & payless a couple of weeks ago (cost me bout $15) and had to cut it down a bit to join it up to original fuel tank inlet pipe

im000791oz2.jpgim000792jk0.jpg

im000793dw8.jpgim000794qf0.jpg

Edited by LINDSAY

looking good mate will be a nice little power upgrade and more reliable! Its great doing it yourself too! Goodluck

P.S My mates ke70 firewall flexes with the hydrulic master conversion but my ke35 doesn t see if the clutch always disengauges fully if not may need bracing