Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ke11 Beams

Featured Replies

  • Replies 373
  • Views 776.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Stu- It's funny how ya go looking for one thing only to find another. I put mine on the first time only to find the drivers side rail had some serious rust coming through. I spoke to the engineer abo

  • Just get an 86 Quaife rack... Got a TRD one sitting on the shelf :) No need to shorten it... you will remember to not turn to much haha.

  • you could get away with buying a mandrel donut or two to make that bend a bit tidier, would give you a nice radius rather than flats.   good onya for giving it a go though.

Posted Images

  • Author

Yeah orangelj it's great. Heaps of adjustment to allow for a good centre of gravity and plenty wide enough to be extremely stable. I just need to sort the front mounting points a little better before I roll it all the way over. I've had to install some mounting points in the rails and they need some reinforcing before I flip it. Apart from that was super easy to assemble and is easy to use and wheel around. Very happy with the purchase. Ill upload some more pics tomorrow.

your build looks really good , I'm thinking about rebuilding my dads old '69 corolla

  • Author

Do it cohenbateson97, the more old rollas on the road the better :) what plans do you have for it???

  • Author

So Heres some more photos of the old girl on the rotisserie. Just need to make up some brackets to brace the front end and I'll be able to roll it all the way over :)

post-10705-0-96854500-1367361200.jpg post-10705-0-37157400-1367361206.jpg post-10705-0-74480300-1367361206.jpg post-10705-0-13130400-1367361207.jpg

going upside down for the first time is one of the coolest and scariest things you will ever do! haha

  • Author

So while I was taking the windows out the other night I found some rust under the drivers side quarter window. I decided to clean up the area today using a black 'wooley' wheel that attaches to the air drill as it removes paint really well without putting to much heat into the area or getting messy like paint stripper. It turned out like this.

post-10705-0-67086600-1367656107.jpg post-10705-0-12970900-1367656124.jpg

I then measured an area to cut out that would give me good solid steel to tack weld the patch to. I used an angle grinder and air hacksaw to cut it out. I was really lucky I found this early as it hadn't spread too much and is in an easy place to repair. So cut out it looked like this.

post-10705-0-58123100-1367656131.jpg post-10705-0-32705800-1367656136.jpg post-10705-0-53438200-1367656144.jpg

I made up a repair patch out of an old door skin my neighbour had layin around using a sheetmetal folder, angle grinder, hole punch and notcher. I made it so it sits under the existing panel allowing me a good edge to tack weld too.

post-10705-0-57408500-1367656149.jpg post-10705-0-62131300-1367656159.jpg post-10705-0-19346400-1367656168.jpg post-10705-0-14362300-1367656093.jpg

For now this is how it will stay as the car is going to bee sand blasted soon and there is no point putting filler in if it just gunna get blasted out. I'll etch it tomorrow and move onto the next repair :)

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author

So I moved onto the A pillar on the passenger the other day. I started to remove the rusty section with the angle grinder w/cutting disc and 'flapper' disc and the dremel drill w/cutting disc. First I cleaned the area with the flapper disc to see where the worst of the rust was. As you can see there was a bit in this corner but it is mainly contained to the outer layers thank god.

 

post-10705-0-63430700-1368673510.jpg post-10705-0-08418000-1368673525.jpg post-10705-0-49048800-1368673542.jpg

 

Once it was cleaned back I proceeded to cut the areas out that was affected without going too crazy.

 

post-10705-0-90224100-1368673559_thumb.jpg post-10705-0-76653400-1368673574.jpg post-10705-0-67706700-1368673593.jpg

 

I was lucky enough to buy a wreck of Jordain on here a few months back, this has allowed me to cut the repairs I need out of unrusted sections. This means I don't have shape or form anything, just cut the new sections to size and weld them in. Here is the section I have to work with.

 

post-10705-0-84710700-1368678737.jpg

 

So I've had a bit of a spanner thrown in the works this week. I have ruptured my medial ligament in my left knee and possibly other damage so progress is really gunna slow down now as I'm on crutches and have to have it elevated as much as possible. I'll try and keep things rolling along and updates coming but they might dry up unfortunately.

Ouch! That sounds very painful... and slow to heal I expect. Take it easy, you don't need a painful crook knee for the rest of your life

  • Author

Yeah Altezzaclub it was one of the worst injuries I've sustained and believe me I've had a few haha.

OrangeLJ its just lucky he isn't crawling yet otherwise I'd be screwed.

  • Author

Well it's official the Rolla will be on hold indefinitely. Completely torn my ACL, damaged the meniscus cup and grade 2/3 tear of the medial ligament. See you all in 6 months :(

that is a very serious injury mate, have to stay off your feet

 

keep safe

  • Author

So I was going stir crazy and couldn't help myself. So I loaded up on the pain killers and headed down the shed. I set up a seat and got stuck into the passenger A pillar. I started by unstitching the repair section I had. I used an angle grinder, dreeml tool w/cutting disc and a spot weld drill bit (see photo) these are used to only drill through the top layer of steel which releases the spot weld.

post-10705-0-21234000-1368924994.jpg post-10705-0-14909400-1368924746.jpg post-10705-0-91333600-1368924762.jpg post-10705-0-45265800-1368924769.jpg post-10705-0-91282100-1368924772.jpg

 

I then cut the pieces down until they fit into the missing section with only minimal gaps, this will allow me to butt weld the pieces in and plug weld where the spot welds were.

post-10705-0-91282100-1368924772.jpg post-10705-0-83157300-1368924778.jpg post-10705-0-60270700-1368924791.jpg post-10705-0-28421400-1368924799.jpg post-10705-0-45413500-1368924815.jpg post-10705-0-65139500-1368924827.jpg

 

So now I need to treat the pieces with some rust converter weld them in and patch up the little rust holes and she should be all good, much better than the rusty old section thats for sure.

  • Author

So my mate came over today and spent most of the day working on the wiring loom. Its just about finished just need to finish wiring in the hazard switch and mount the relays and fuse block and its done :)

I also spent some time tack welding the A pillar rust patch in started to grind it back when the grinder decides to shit itself :rant: but ti made me a little happier considering my situation.

post-10705-0-59081900-1369034568.jpg post-10705-0-22914400-1369034590.jpg post-10705-0-82499300-1369034611.jpg post-10705-0-05770500-1369034632.jpg

I also saw my specialist today and he says I should be walking as much as possible so I've got the rest of the week off work and will be in the shed as much as possible :rock:

More updates to follow :yes:

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.