Te72 Corolla W/ Carb'd 12a.

SKarpenz

Whats up guys, I'm assuming most of you are from down under, hope you don't mind me popping in with some questions.

Right now I'm driving a 1980 Corolla coupe with a 12a rotary engine. It has a full bridge port, racing beat intake mani, holley 650 carb, racing beat header, 3 MSD blaster coils and a few bolt-ons. It is a very quick car (12.2 1/4 mile) but lately I've been having the itch to swap a 5.7L Chevrolet V8 into it. I was just wondering how I should go about it if I do decide to go this route. Should I look into a RX7 V8 swap it? Would this make it any easier on me? or should I just go a totally custom route. Anyone else have any experience with this sort of swap? Any info is greatly appreciated. ;)

Here are a few pics of her currently. :D

Tom

100_1527.jpg

100_1528.jpg

100_1530.jpg

100_1566.jpg

Members dont see this ad

G'Day Tom

Currently, having a 12A, You would have a pretty good weight to power ratio, with the idea of handeling still in the equasion. Putting a V8 into it, would be quite a differnt story. You would basically have to go full out custom, and it wouldnt be cheap. Personally, if you want it to go harder, Just upgrade it to a 13B. For your sake, it would be alot easier.

Oh, and for a start.. piss that holly off and put on an IDA Weber on it :D

Have Fun!

(food for thought - V8 in ke70 engine bay + exhaust & back left side of motor = not much fun with break booster in the way ;) )

why waste his money on a 13b if u go for another bridgeport you still wont go much faster with the extra 100cc's, but if you go 12a or 13b turbo it would be better you can make as much power as a chev but with less weight depends on how much u want to spend but id say rotary power would be cheaper and easier.

Thanks for the input guys, I'm not even sure a V8 would fit in my engine bay so I'll stick with the rotary. I have considered 13b turbo, but I'm a little iffy on giving up my carb which is so easy to work on and I'm not too good with wiring and that sort of thing. Think I would see some good gains with a 13b turbo engine? Or would I better off with my bridgeported 12a?

5.7 LS1 will fit, but you're looking at big dollars with all the fabrication involved. A rotary is much more versatile.... the higher rpm available means you won't have to change diff ratios to get good MPH through the traps. The weight of a v8 would also completely destroy the handling.

Don't be afraid of EFI... try it and you'll never look back.

13BT + aftermarket computer FTW

5.7 LS1 will fit, but you're looking at big dollars with all the fabrication involved. A rotary is much more versatile.... the higher rpm available means you won't have to change diff ratios to get good MPH through the traps. The weight of a v8 would also completely destroy the handling.

Don't be afraid of EFI... try it and you'll never look back.

13BT + aftermarket computer FTW

I'm really considering an FD engine now. Will the TT's and all fit? I'm just deathly scared of wires, and my 12a has none, hahaha. I suppose all I would need is the wiring harness and an ECU, right? Then I guess I would need to figure something out for gauges. Like I said, any help is appreciated. I've pretty much given up on the V8.

Offtopic, I'm from the states, are all you guys from Australia? Just wondering. ;)

Tom

just get yourself an FD half-cut. That way you can use the factory engine loom and computer.

as far as gauges go you'll just need an adapter for the speedo drive... and any auto electrician worth his salt should be able to adapt the factory guages to the mazda senders without too much drama.

I've pretty much found what I'll do. I'm picking up a full 88-92 RX7 turbo swap w/ engine, tranny, wiring harness, and turbo/accessories for $1800USD and I'm going to swap the Corolla this winter. :lol:

Good move ;) I think you'll have more fun with that than you ever would with a V8.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...