Mumblezzz's Ke70 4age

mumblezzz

You've all seen it before in the other thread but I thought I would post it here so I could update it as the car progresses.

For those who don't know, this car was bought for $250 off ebay. It started life as a lowly KE70 S trim povo pack. It was powered by a completly standard 4K in front of a 3 speed auto. Not very exciting at all. Here are some pics of when I bought it.

KE70a.jpg

KE70g.jpg

KE70f.jpg

It wasnt long (about 10 days) before I got bored of driving around with an ashmatic 4K and a slipping automatic transmission barely keeping up with traffic and getting bored to tears with not owning a manual car anymore. It was time to pull the running gear which used to reside in my old AE86. (Rust in Peace)

The engine was essentially a standard bigport out of an imported Levin and the T50 gearbox was from the same car. I don't have many pics of the conversion but it started with pulling the old 4K and gearbox out. I then removed the KE70 engine crossmember and replaced it with the 4A engine crossmember from my AE86. I then went to work installing the hydraulic clutch pedal from my AE86 Luckily theres a little flat spot on the firewall for it to go, so with a little bit of love with the drill and pulling half the dash apart the pedal was installed.

While the engine was still out of the car I took the chance to replace the bottom end with a new rebuilt bottom end I had as a spare forever. After much f@$king around swapping all the accessories and head over to the new bottom end its was bolted to the geabox and dropped into place. I had to extend two holes in the gearbox crossmember to make it bolt up.

Next up was fitting the T-18 diff with the cusco LSD centre. Nothing really to mention it all bolts in and is essentially a $1300 locker. AE86 tailshaft went in no problems.

Wiring was so much easier the second time around. When I first converted the sprinter I had no idea and had to get a mate to help me sort the wiring out. Armed with the knowledge from the first car this was piss easy. I started by cutting and extending the + and - coil wires from the drivers side to the passenger side of the engine bay. Then the loom was run and plugged in to the body and engine. Then it was a simple case of connecting this to that and it was done. All up theres about 10 or 15 wires I had to solder. A bit of fiddling with the auto park switch wiring and it was sorted. Luckily after 1 false start it cranked into life.

Here are the most recent pics.

tincan16.jpg

tincan16%202.jpg

tincan16%203.jpg

tincan16%204.jpg

Members dont see this ad
It was really. If you take out the 3 days I took to replace the bottom end it would have taken me 3 days to complete.

waah don't say that! :ban:

I've got alot to learn!! I was contemplating in doing a 4age swap at some point and stuff like this makes me wanna do it now!

If you ever come to the UK for sometime and looking to make some quick ££ then you're more than welcome to do mine :ban:

Any changes to the suspension at all as it does look lower?

looks a bit rough around the edges but nothing a set of rims and a clean wouldn't sort :ban:

but yeah deffo a street sleeper.......

oli: Haha I'll have to take you up on that one day. I need a holiday :ban: Since the exhaust runs under the diff I had to cut the springs to make it fit. I'll be doing the fronts soon as well to make it sit even. Hopefully i can find some cheap rubber and I'll chuck a set of crappy 14x7's ive got on it.

Teddy you can have a thrash any time man. I wont let you out until you've hit the limiter at least once hahaha :ban: