Myles's Ke10!!

10ROLLA

Cool Myles, looks a lot like mine when I got it 20 years ago...lol, doesn't look much better now, it was a kind of army looking green but nowdays pretty much stays primered. I like to drive the old backroads a lot and don't have to worry about nicks in the paint.

post-3326-1175701957.jpg

I try to keep it nice under the hood though

post-3326-1175702014.jpg

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha i supose thats the cheaper alturnative! but nar I'm hopin to restore this ke10 as they r gettin rarer by the day!, anyway back on track, i did more rust today i did under the passanger side tail light, this side was way worse the the drivers, and actually the passanger side of the car is the side that has most of the rust which i thought was a bit weird but yeah, wasnt very motivated so only did one section but it took me 3 and a half hours!, when this job could be done in 1 and a half easily. don't have ne pics but i will post a few more up when i more done, the plan is that we get the car completely stripped down to bare metal and and undercoated befor the end of my holidays!

anyway thanks for the comments!

Cheers Myles!

• 2 weeks later...

ok well the plan to get the first coat of paint on it befor my holidays ended, blew out the window when i went to straddie for a week, but I'm gettin there, tonight i did the worst part of the car, which was behind the rear passanger side wheel, my welding is improving slowly but nothin to rave about, but it holds strong so it'll do!

Edited by 10ROLLA

by the looks of your welding i would say your holding too far away,and your circles need to be smaller and try and get a consistant run. alleviates alot of that blobby-ness.

not being an arse, took me ages to even get something resembling decent welds. just trying to help...

yeah, I'm using just a cheapo mask that came with welder as i don't plan on doin too much more welding after this car unless on another project, and yeah i am gettin a few constant runs (pic doesnt show the few good bits hehe) but i had a look at my old welds to the new ones I'm am improving slowly, i still have to grind it all down to get it lookin pretty yet but thanks for all the tips, i did more rust repairs on the car tonight and i found mooooreeee rust and big too! so there will be a few more days on the body! cus I'm not much of a welder, i am only cutting the rust out to get rid of it, then weld a new fresh piece in behind that and bog ova it to make it look perfect again, some people might think i shouldnt do it but i don't have all that much money to play with to get a tradesman to do it but thanks again guys ill keep tryin and hopefully soooooonish i will be takin it back to bare metal for a spray! **dreams**

Cheers Myles

Hey myles,

just found this thread, looks like its coming along, not all that dissimular to my

current ke10 project which i plan to chuck a thread up about soon.

I'm the same when it comes to having cash, i prefer to do it myself anyway as

its feels good and its all about learning.

I just finished one of my front 1/4 panels today back to bare metal... wasnt as hard

as i though, definately seems to be the way to go...

Keep us posted on your progress.

Cheers,

Scott.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok havent updated in a while, but have completed 97% of the rust on the car, only one more spot and the rust is done wooo.... i have been at MPA at birkdale lookin at paint colours! been there twice and both times been there for ova an hour and a half choosing what colours i liked, i have narrowed it down to 3 colours, Red Blue or Yellow, i have been leaning towards a basic red with a pearlesant gloss sprayed ova the top....... should look good, but still have a couple of months befor i choose the defanant top coat.

A weekend in the next month the ke10 should be stripped back to bare metal and undercoated, then prep it and straighten the body, this was gonna be done a while back but i have been slack. here r a few pics of the rust repairs grinded back lookin a bit better then the picks befor hand!

Cheers Myles!

post-2244-1179624136_thumb.jpg

post-2244-1179624393_thumb.jpg

Still gotta do a lil more work on this guard but all the rust is gone!

post-2244-1179624620_thumb.jpg

Cheers Myles!

Thanks mate i really take into consideration what peoples comments say and i am undisided as of yet wether i keep it original or not. My first plan was to keep it original but i saw the nicest bright yellow ke20 in capalaba (brisbane) the other day and it looked modified and it really caught my eye and i loved it. (if neone noes the car that kinda matches that discription please send me some pics, i fell in love with that car at first site).

and I'm defenly gettin white walls with the ke20 hud caps i got on it! and I'm gonn get some venitians lol i love em.

Cheers, Myles!

(p.s. i will try lay off the exclamation marks, its just a habbit!)

Are you talking about this one? if so its a mates car, ca18det, he is just putting a new motor and bigger turbo back in it now.

2581.jpg

Scott

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, well i havent updated in a while but here is the run down.

Well i have been chassing a bonnet since the day i got the car, me and my brother sourced out a few bonnets, then found a guy in sydney with a rust free, fairly straight bonnet. He also had 2 beautiful guards and both front and rear, rechromed reshaped bumpers. As my brother wanted a holiday he drove down there for me and got them. (a quick pic of them)

post-2244-1182056386_thumb.jpg

Once i got all the parts i started paint strippering the whole car.... then got the orbital sander to the bare metal to scuff it up abit ready to be painted.

post-2244-1182056626_thumb.jpg

post-2244-1182056850_thumb.jpg

post-2244-1182057200_thumb.jpg

post-2244-1182057438_thumb.jpg

Got it prepared for the epoxy primer (I'm the one on the right)

post-2244-1182057773_thumb.jpg

Then got my old man to spray the car in epoxy primer, cause he has had some time on the gun spraying boats.

post-2244-1182058005_thumb.jpg

post-2244-1182058211_thumb.jpg

post-2244-1182058410_thumb.jpg

post-2244-1182058554_thumb.jpg

next is to bog and fare it ready for the actuall undercoart and then get that ready for the top coat!

Cheers Myles!

YES! just what i wanted, i just bought all the stuff i need to spray my car and strip it back to bare metal, so ill be following this closely. Its abit cold to spray in tassie atm but in a month or two it should be about right. looks good so far!

Johnny

• 9 months later...

ok well i have been so completely slack.... i have done all this work.... to get it in epoxy primer and now it just sits in my shed.... i have done some bogging but still have soooo much more to go befor i am even close.... i swear i wipe on bog then i sand it.... then i have sanded the bog to low so i gotta put on more.... wait for that to dry.... then sand that,.... still to low.... put more on wait for it to dry.... so its really disheartening and i really need motivation.. and its so much easier just to go work on my hilux and tidy that up a bit each day..... what do u all do to get your cars done so fast..... and how do u keep motivated? i really want to be at painting stage but never find the time nor motivation to complete it..... so I'm hoping that me writing this willl make me pull my finger out and actually get something done....

Myles.