4agze Interference Engine ?

Des

Members dont see this ad

So when i change my timing belt and mess it up I'm not going to need to buy new valve and pistons. Also if i put it on and put it a few teeth out can it damage anything else when i go and try to start it ?

Was just reading the 4AGE Engine Repair manual, the 4AGE is DEFINITELY non-interference, due to the indentations in the crown of the piston. Since the 4AGZE would be using the same head with different CR pistons, then it too would be non-interference.....in fact, would be even more non-interference (bear in mind this is pure speculation, I haven't actually seen a GZE piston)

On Phil Bradshaw's old website (i have it printed out) the is a reference to cam belts and he expresses that you cannot damage the valves or pistons on any 4age engine, And i myself know that it does not affect the 4A-C.

On a stock motor yes, Not on a worked motor with different pistons.

Following is a link to what I remember Josh Young saying..

http://www.initialdrift.com.au/forums/view...sc&start=45

"in the rush to get it done on saturday, at 9pm sata night josh starts car to test and discovers theres no oil pressure...................

the car had run for about 3 mins and then just stopped dead..............

turns out that the LOW oil pressure, (there was some as there was very little damage to any bearings or cam seats ect) caused the exhaust cam to stick, which then, as the engine was running, caused the cam gear to shear off the locating pin into the cam.......... now chain reaction says that the valves are stopped, not normally an issue in a 4age, as they are clearance engines, but this motor has high top pistons and the valves touch the pistons.............. this was only discovered AFTER i had half pulled the engine apart, found the broken pin, the reassembled with a new pin to discover low comp in number 1 cylinder........ "

On a stock motor yes, Not on a worked motor with different pistons.

Following is a link to what I remember Josh Young saying..

http://www.initialdrift.com.au/forums/view...sc&start=45

"in the rush to get it done on saturday, at 9pm sata night josh starts car to test and discovers theres no oil pressure...................

the car had run for about 3 mins and then just stopped dead..............

turns out that the LOW oil pressure, (there was some as there was very little damage to any bearings or cam seats ect) caused the exhaust cam to stick, which then, as the engine was running, caused the cam gear to shear off the locating pin into the cam.......... now chain reaction says that the valves are stopped, not normally an issue in a 4age, as they are clearance engines, but this motor has high top pistons and the valves touch the pistons.............. this was only discovered AFTER i had half pulled the engine apart, found the broken pin, the reassembled with a new pin to discover low comp in number 1 cylinder........ "

The same thing happened to the 4A-C, The oil got low and the cam siezed and i spun the belt so the car stalled driving down the road(AUTO), Not knowing what happened i let the car sit for a minute while i looked over the engine and i turned it over and it started again so i gave it a rev and it died so i hit the key again and only the crank moved (you could tell by the noise the starter made) so i checked the belt and realised it was no longer ribbed.

Just set the motor to top dead centre (Take the oil cap off and you will see the recess in the top of the intake cam) That lets you know that its on top dead centre. Then make sure the two dots on the cam gears line up with the marks on the backing plate. Check that the crankshaft lines up with the dot on the oil pump body. I marked my old belt with whiteout so I could be sure it went on exactly the same..

Dscn6776x.jpg