Limited Slip Without Changing Housing

kangaroosa

I have the Tayell Automotive product in my Borg Warner Diff. Its basically 2 metal plates and a few springs that exert pressure on the gears in your diff. Its claimed to send power to both wheels, whilst still giving enough slip to drive normally in car parks.

Mine was tight as all buggery over 2 years ago, however the spring stiffness drops over time. Then its a simple case of swapping the springs with new ones.

$250 for the initial setup, and $100 everytime you need the springs changed. Mine is a few years old and is still works fine to this day. The bloke reckons the springs should last "at least" a full season in a rally car.

I'm pretty sure he is happy for you to post your diff to him, and he'll post it back. Well he was happy enough a few years back.

post-336-1163056769_thumb.jpg

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it is 30 or 55 will be the same. As in my 30 I have an original BW diff but over time trying to get a LSD vad jap diff for car.

But do you have this guys number who does this or a name for the part possible so I can see if a diff shop here in QLD can do them?

Also might seem a stupid question but does this lock the diff hard as in if you drop clutch will both wheels smoke up?

Cameron

If it is 30 or 55 will be the same. As in my 30 I have an original BW diff but over time trying to get a LSD vad jap diff for car.

But do you have this guys number who does this or a name for the part possible so I can see if a diff shop here in QLD can do them?

Also might seem a stupid question but does this lock the diff hard as in if you drop clutch will both wheels smoke up?

Cameron

Tayell Automotive Road & Rally Centre

3 Griffith Ave Bentleigh East VIC 3165

(03) 9579 5529

I'm from Melb, so i have no idea who would make them in your state. Give him a call and maybe he could help you.

He'll know what your talking about if you call him. He does quite a few of these setups. Sloth on these forums had his 7K motor built there too, if i remember correctly.

If you dump the clutch, yes both wheels will spin. Wet or Dry.....Gravel or Road, it doesnt matter. But if your driving normally the plates have enough slip in them to allow you to turn corners without the back skipping like a locked diff causes. Its all to do with how much power you put through the diff and the severity of it. If you dump the clutch, the sudden power works on the plates and puts drive to both wheels.

Its much safer than a locked diff, and alot easier on your driveline. Infact just by driving my car, you wouldnt have a clue that the setup is in my diff.

Maybe someone should contact this dude and see if we can't organise some sort of rollaclub arrangement... Or at least get some concrete details on how the mod works and what models he can do it on...

Mods? Admins? Bueller? Anyone?

post above beat me by a minute:

Edited by 7shades

Maybe someone should contact this dude and see if we can't organise some sort of rollaclub arrangement... Or at least get some concrete details on how the mod works and what models he can do it on...

Mods? Admins? Bueller? Anyone?

He does it to a heap of different cars. Mainly rally cars though. I have seen Gallants, Corolla's, Gemini's etc with this setup.

But by all means, get in touch with him and maybe he would be open to doing a group discount.

Do you have a more detailed phot with messurements possible of the unit?

As if it is simply a plate with 4 holes either corner to locate springs then another matching plate and it goes in centre of diff or holds on to the spider gear well it would would be easy to make. If i got more details i know people who machine and I could use there mill and prob make one for some beer so if u get me drawings or messurements or some thing id give it a go.

But I will get onto the guy and see if he will give me indepth info for me ;) But ah STD call at day time WOW

Cameron

Edited by camerondownunder88

Do you have a more detailed phot with messurements possible of the unit?

As if it is simply a plate with 4 holes either corner to locate springs then another matching plate and it goes in centre of diff or holds on to the spider gear well it would would be easy to make. If i got more details i know people who machine and I could use there mill and prob make one for some beer so if u get me drawings or messurements or some thing id give it a go.

But I will get onto the guy and see if he will give me indepth info for me :D But ah STD call at day time WOW

Cameron

Sorry, but i don't have measurements of it. The plates are pretty thick, and the springs are very tough. The bloke has to use a press to compress the plates and then slide it into the diff. Apparently its a prick of a job and not something that you would attempt in your shed over the weekend. However, if you have mates with metal skills and tools, then its another story. ;)

Maybe ask him to email you some details, or even fax it. I am flat out this week, and will be away from home for work next week. If nothing has happened after late next week, i may be able to swing past and get the details on it. Not sure how willing he would be in giving away specific measurements and part numbers though.

post-336-1163073047_thumb.jpg

post-336-1163073062_thumb.jpg

Ok seriously doing this...lol gosh i built a jet powered go kart how hard can this be..lol

Ok subaru from a fast look WRC car has about 35 to 40lbs locking focre in its car. not exact value as well they race it.

We also need to make these high tollerence as less tollerence will make em lose lock at speed and cause a crash.

Next tight fit so springs need to be about 26mm long and about 115mm wide (from looking at suitable springs) Valve ones to long wont do job.

Also to much pressure u might as well make a CIG locker as it do that to little why bother so hardest part in this is the springs

Next will need to face sun gears in diff to make a better surface for spring locker to lock to.

Also what should wear first diff or locker as it is a friction device. Locker. So make it out of some 4010 metal should be softer than iron n a diff but good for heat and strong and cheap.

To get in diff assemble it clap 2 plate together in vice or press and get some flat bar tack weld to each piece. Then put in diff get die grinder give weld a hit and it will come apart and be in diff. Easy.

More research to be done on this also a CAD and 3D drawing will come. But I am a student so is a side project but if I can get a loan a diff from a BW rolla and some one to thrash it for me when i build it for testing well seehow we go making one. As if I can make my self and get scrap bilet metal for free and I have lots of springs at home id say i can do one for under $50 for my self

Also if possible drop into that guys shop see what he has in the way of drawings or exploded views. If I get a good look at one well ill do own messurements and design my self.

Cameron

By the way I suck at english so ill try my best just for you Raven.

Now for my drawing. This is my design But am thinking off adding an oil channel down the arch way to lubricate this block between the shaft the spider gear sits on.

Pics of it below. I made it to look good but all I have to do is add dia. to it and presto turn it into a file a CNC mil can read and I can turn these out. They are a mirror of each other so the only other part we need to worry about is the springs ;)

Enjoy

Cameron

P.S. One is what it will look like if made from brick.

post-1811-1163080288_thumb.jpg

post-1811-1163080304_thumb.jpg

Edited by camerondownunder88