Limited Slip Without Changing Housing

kangaroosa

You are right. These will be not as good as an real LSD but better than an open one.

I came across in my research papers on performance difference when installed for a drag street car. Was better all around on launch etc. These wont do anything if you drive normaly. But if trying to spin your wheels it will. So it is a great option for a hoon who wants people to think he has LSD.

For a rally car, my self I have seen these used in kahna cars succesfuly don't know about full rally but time will tell.

Cameron

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah i used to... you could probably my tyres howling over in perth when I was pulling into a car park :lol:

I also run very sticky rally tyres on the rear... the extra stress on the diff leads to a significantly shorter lifespan. (i've already chewed two)

Sounds like alot of research being put into this! i would probably be keen for one in my ke70, if the test with the gze goes alright it should handle a 4age in mine! I'm guessing these would be suitable & safe for daily driving? Not gonna be drifting, but would be good to have the rears lock up when ya want them to (and not have a LSD or weld it)! Good work, and will be keeping an eye on this post also! :lol:

Edited by turbo_rolla

Thought i'd give Tayell automotive a buzz today to find out a bit more bout these things (from a ke70 with 4age perspective), and he basically confirmed the following:

* the unit itself would last in the standard ke70 bw diff, but the diff itself wont cope

* t-18 diff and one of these units shouldnt have any problems

* they will still do interstate jobs if you pay for postage

* 7-10 day turnaround

* may have to take 3mm off each axel when returned

* $250 cash + postage if required

* $150 to reset springs, however he said they're having few reco's lately as the quality of the springs is improving. Diff shows open wheel symptoms when the springs go off

* the application is suitable for road use, and the device will obviously last longer (2 years or more), depending on how much heat goes through it

Think that's about it. Spoke to John and he was very helpful. Just thought this might be useful for people looking to do it shortly :lol:

Ok havent got a KE70 diff to play with yet but the chev one I have the axle just don't quite go all the way to the spider gears attached to them and they have a flat surface so installation would require no removal of parts.

But on the instruction page I have onhow to install these it says to grind,sand, on machine the face of the spider gears flat so it grips better. As these are a friction device so better the surface it rubs on the better it grips that is why these things have to be worn in a bit.

Wiht the springs heat will affect them over time. But $150 for springs tell em where to go. Go to a dedicated spring maker with your spring and price could be low as $3.

So as I get parts and make a trial run one ill see how it goes. But I can see a problem in a KE70 4age diff as this device locks it the axle isnt strong enough and it will snap them. But behind a K motor when it locks I could see it taking it easier on the axles so again have to wait for testing.

Cameron

Ive got a spare ke70 diff with a broken input gear (shouldn't make a difference for measurements and stuff) if u want it cameron. And i would be very interested in one of these units if a group buy or something was arranged. Also how much would a local shop charge for taking 3mm off your axles?

Carlos