Turbo_rolla's Ke70

turbo_rolla

Had been thinking about doing this for sometime, but finally got around to getting off my ass to do it today........what was this thing you ask? Well, i was sick of having a shitty looking boot, so went out and got some carpet and went to work with the stanley knife - only half finished at this stage as my back got sore ( :P ), but you get the idea - big improvement already i reckon! :P

Before

post-1017-1223704383_thumb.jpg

post-1017-1223704396_thumb.jpg

After

post-1017-1223704409_thumb.jpg

post-1017-1223704420_thumb.jpg

Might get out there and finish the oher side off, and make some little kick panels for the sides (was gonna put some MDF down under the carpet on the floor, but not needed so will use it for the sides).

Also discovered that i could do with a new boot rubber, so will try and source one of them too!

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got the aircon regassed today with some colder stuff - its called "minus 30" (pretty much LPG from what i've read???) and is better at cooling than the R134A that they put in after i got my new lines made up after the conversion - from what i sampled this arvo its pretty good, but the best test will be on a hot day, not a low 20's day like it was today! The guys who gassed it up also put some dye through it and changed the filter - i got a call from him saying "we've removed the old filter and found it was installed upside down" :) ;) ;) WTF? How could the previous guys not notice it was upside down? :D That obviously would've had some effect on the efficiency of the old gas, but happier with this new stuff in it.

Also made the trek out to Gawler to pick up the other 2 stock rims and springs off a nice chap off ae86dc - had a good chat, and a look over my car. Decided i should probably post-pone my inspection again for a little as there's some stuff i should still tidy up (grille and headlights for one, some other stuff in the engine bay), so will see when they're available for another appointment soon. Better to get it all finished properly and pass than have to take it through twice :wink:

Got out this arvo/evening after work and pulled the fronts out and put the stock springs back in! I always hate doing the fronts cause when it comes to putting them back in i ALWAYS have issues getting it over the steering arm and sitting properly :( Got the other half out there to help me though while i bounced on the control arm to push it down that little bit extra :P All sorted now, and has stockies all round (the cs-x "rims" on the front, stock steelies on the rear) - f$#k they're thin!!!!!! :yes:

Just need to tidy up the engine bay now, and either mount the RHS front headlight properly, or swap it for a standard front again for the inspection (which i'll have to source - shouldn't have thrown the old one out :sob: )

It looks like the car is pretty much ready for Regency on friday - went to u-pull-it this arvo and ripped the front end off a ke70 there (both lights, brackets, surrounds and grill) - only paid $27 for the lot which i was happy with (guy wanted $30 but i only had $27 on me if he wanted cash :P). The passenger side has a little crack up the top of the surround, but no biggie - it is missing the lens cover for the indicator though, so gonna try and source one cheap tomorrow. Only concern is the 5-10mm gap under the lights where i chopped the beaver panel for the quad lights . Not sure if they'll pay any attention to that or not :yes:

Can i just say though - standard front = :sob:

Cleaned up the engine bay too, and removed the plugs i could and gave it a general tidy up to make it look less "backyard". Will give it a wash tomorrow arvo, and should be set to go for friday arvo and hopefully get a big tick from them! :(

Edited by turbo_rolla

Will cut to the chase of the detailed story below:

IT'S LEGAL

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

SOOOOOOOOOOOO, was the big day today. Was nervous all day but got down there for the appointment - called through pretty much straight away. Went into the workshop and the guy says "so whats in it" and one of the other guys there said "4age?". So he then proceeded to have a look over it while i sat my ass down on the chair next to the desk and watched nervously ;)

Had a good look underneath and then went off to get another guy at one stage, and brought him back to look at something at which stage i was thinking "hmm, will have to bring it back through", but the then said it was okay - was looking at the gearbox xmember, and said i should look to mount the other bit of the xmember that isnt bolted up to the car. There was also an issue with the nut on the end of the bolt going through the xmember and lower control arm in that it wasnt a "locked thread" or nut.

He looked around the rest of it a bit more, sussing it all out very closely, and then it was time to do the brake test - fronts passed without a problem, then onto rears, which failed the first time, but then passed on the 2nd shot (applied the brake a little more gently).

Then was the noise test - got me to rev it up to 4000rpm and measured it - 92dB, allowed to have up to 94dB!

Finally was the road test - he took it for a spin and said it was all alright, only had to fix the clutch as it doesnt have the "spacers" in the top where it mounts to the pedal assembly so there's a bit of movement side to side if that makes sense.

He then noticed the tint and asked if i had it on the front (yes), and said that it was too dark and proceeded to hand me a razor :P so that's come off the front windows, but apart from that all was good.

So he said just to fix those little issues, but not to worry about bringing it back through and that we were done.

So yeah, its all now legal, for SA Rego purposes and more importantly, insurance :P :D :jamie:

Now i get back to transforming it back to its former self :)