Hydrolic Handbrake

demuire

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Been recommended to try using P4872 which is 3/4 ", does that sound about right? That's for the master cylinder to activate the rear brakes?

Had a look at Terry's Datsun1200 on the weekend for some ideas on handbrake levers, and I think I'm sorted. I now have to look for a Datsun 120Y or maybe Datsun1200 handbrake lever and fabricate some mounts to mount that in the Corolla. Haha, more datsun bits in my car :) Jamie's gonna kill me :dance:

Might actually pick up 2 of them while I'm at it, the Corolla handbrake is too bulky and too hard to move around. I like the Datsun one, it's small and compact, easy to put just about anywhere, and to modify to fit a hydrolic setup :)

• 3 weeks later...

For anyone interested, Brake Parts Australia (where I get most of my brake bits) sells the P4872 for $78.65 inc GST. That's the price I got quoted over the phone, but every single time I've been there I've paid less than what they quote on the phone... Very strange, but I'm not complaining :P

I had the hydraulic (spelling :P ) handbrake installed in Dino (the Datsun 1600). I was lucky because the brake lines had already been moved to run through the car due to the brake bias. I bought the handbrake lever and bracket from Rod Biggar (Datsun 1600 rally guru) for not too much. He might have another one for sale though?

Mr Redwarf (The Master) and I (The humble apprentice) mounted the brake lever and painted it to make it look pruddy. I then took it to ABS to get the brake line split and plumb in the handbrake. They looked at me REALLY strangely and asked me to explain what I wanted again. And again. I guess I looked funny in my grubby working on car clothes requesting they plumb in this brake so I could do skids at motorkhanas (motor-what??). In the end they refused to do the job! :P Datsun 1600 GOD *bow down*

Ken Graham came to the rescue and put me onto a friend who did a cash job for me. And it works a treat to this day, just ask Evan. It's a little bit of a hassle but it is SO worth it and makes handbrake turns work that much better.

Yay for Fook for getting the project going and YAY for the Datsun cross breeding that's going on!! Just proves that Datsun parts are cheaper, are easier to work with and more available than Toyota! :P

Picked up a Datsun 120Y handbrake lever today:

PICT0149-vi.jpg

PICT0151-vi.jpg

It's even got the handbrake warning light switch built in which I much prefer, than the silly plastic one in the Corolla (that I've broken).

Measured everything up roughly, and it looks like it should all fit. Current plans are to bolt the Datto handbrake lever to the right and behind the Corolla one, and use that as the mechanical handbrake. Will probably reuse the bottom right bolt for the top right hole on the lever, and make a bracket out of 3mm plate steel for the bottom right hole.

Handbrake cable will probably go through the floor under where the rear seat normally will be (same as the original Datto setup). From there I'll have to somehow connect it to the Bluebird TRX brake cable. Will have to investigate that further.

Corolla handbrake will stay where it is, just space it up 3mm (as it will sit on top of the Datto one). Hydrolic MC will go pretty much next to the Datto lever, possibly using the same mounts.