Ford Ea And Down Manifold Pattern?

camerondownunder88

TBI is basically a downdraft carby but fuel delivery is computer controlled.

The falcon TBI would be perfect for a Turbo K series seeing as it doesnt have a float bowl and you can run decent fuel pressure.

Used with a decent computer, it woul be much better than most downdraft carbys especially if your going turbo.

Theres nothing wrong with the coil packs on EFs, i don't know why Ford went back to the dissy on the EL.

"CFI" i thought it was called CPI Centre Point Injection.

Members dont see this ad

CFI = Centrepoint Fuel Injection.

post-600-1166660533_thumb.jpg

This was the CFI motor I had removed from my EA Falcon before I had the MPFI motor fitted.

As you can see, it was a down-draught injection set-up, not side-draught as Dan mentioned earlier.

The reason for wanting a CFI, TBI system or what ever you want to call it is to turbo a K motor. I have parts here for a turbo adn well been offered a mmm CHEAP shal we say T28 working turbo so it will be a fun projecct and if I can geta cheap un used TBI system off a car with a manifold patternt that will fit on or with an adaptor plate like any ford system I will be happy as it will save me having to fiddle around with a carby.

And yes EA sorry I had the wrong model I'm my head I will use an EA ECU.

Also the TBI system was designed to just get rid of a carby and use old factory parts till a better solution was made this is why chev ford and that did this. So it is better than a carby if setup good as at idle you have better fuel flow cold starts are easier adn so on. But I can see faults in it as well it is usually about 2 injectors jsut firing away and fuel just finds its own way to a cyclinder. But in all factory records I have dug up in the day all chev adn fords TBI systems ran better usually gave more torque and improved economy so for a turbo setup it should be a good choice. And as Raven said a lot of people are gettign rid of there TBI setups for another injection type so I should source one for cheap.

Also the reason for looking this way is a K injection setup is hard to source adn hard to get power out of as I said in a past post some mods they need to get them going. And the VL turbo EFI fuel pump I have hear I belive can push the K injectors open as they like lower pressure so I would again have to source new injectors for a K setup. So it is the only reason for looking into TBI.

Cheers

Cameron

jeez now we're getting nit picky.. yes ford called it CFI, but it was just a stupid marketing name for TBI.

dan, have you actually bothered playing with the TBI system at all?

everyone says they are shit are falcon owners, because they are restricted and the better MPFI manifolds are like arseholes anyways.

for a much smaller old school engine TBI would be lightyears ahead of the original carby. and fords tbi makes life so fricken easy as most of the shit is inbuilt.

at a joint i previously worked at i used to regularly service an EA series 1 GL with TBI. it was stock as a rock, unrebuilt low km number and would blow the doors off an average FMPI falcon. it must have been a factory freak engine but f@$k it went!

responce is good on tbi's, the only downside is the idle, as the injectors are squirting onto the butterfly's, hence practically no advantage over a carby. but once you crack open the throttles, the differences are many.

cameron, is there a reason you want to keep using the EA ecu? they arent like a delco that you can buy a program and reprogram yourself.. i think nearly the only people who can tune them in australia is a chiptorque outlet.

it would be easier getting all GM sensors,and loom off something like a camira, VN on etc, and buy a haltech E6GMX computer to run it all. you can get them off ebay for like $500-600 and tune till your hearts content.

you would be very lucky if the ford ecu ran AT ALL on a 4k, and if it did it would have a heart attack when it see's positive pressure (ie boost) in the map sensor.

robert. the EF coilpacks wernt essentially a bad thing, except they used to die from too much heat, so it happened regularly, and changing coilpacks on a hot EF is a PITA!

ford went back to dissy with the EL, and they were even more trouble prone. leads, cap and rotors lunch themselves regularly on them, and are even more of a pita to replace than the EF's.

i just sold my EA 5 speed to a mate, and I'm fixing it properly for him atm.. putting an AU engine in it . :ninja:

MRMOPARMAN: Yes I have considered doing what you said where you get all VN, camira etc sensors and a haltech ecu as I saw one on ebay for $200. And then adapting this to a ford TBI purely because the ford TBI bolts onto a K manifold. I just htough the ford ecu was reprogramable so figured id get it with the TBI when I sourced one but if it isnt reprogramable with my lap top i will no longer be using one..lol

And yes on old motors where TBI will bolt on it is a good idea. As fast easy injection with some not all the benifets of TBI and it can save a bit more fuel over a carby as they have fixed jets and injectors can vary the speed at which they open thus saving fuel.

Thanks

Cameron

AU engine :hmm:

My 5 Speed EA would munch AU's for Lunch :ninja:

now take 1x AU sedan and take away 300kg.. keeping the manual aswell. I'm hoping it will be slightly quicker than my AU V8 5 speed yoot (not too much faster though. mate will get big head)!!

Edited by MRMOPARMAN

• 2 weeks later...
dan, have you actually bothered playing with the TBI system at all?
Yeah, mate, I used to own a CFI EA.. and after playing with it alot, experimenting and whatnot, I still wasn't impressed.. after driving a MPFi version I was much more impressed. That said, a mate has a CFI 5-speed EA and it is a bloody freak of a car, nice and quick and shit.. goes pretty hard
everyone says they are shit are falcon owners,

Ford went back to the dizzy in the EL purely because it was more economical. It would have costed alot of money to re-tool to make the coil-packs more reliable, and made sense to simply go back to a dizzy. Quite stupid that they went straight back to the coilpacks in the AU, though.

Happy new years..

Dan

Yeah, mate, I used to own a CFI EA.. and after playing with it alot, experimenting and whatnot, I still wasn't impressed.. after driving a MPFi version I was much more impressed. That said, a mate has a CFI 5-speed EA and it is a bloody freak of a car, nice and quick and shit.. goes pretty hard

Ford went back to the dizzy in the EL purely because it was more economical. It would have costed alot of money to re-tool to make the coil-packs more reliable, and made sense to simply go back to a dizzy. Quite stupid that they went straight back to the coilpacks in the AU, though.

Happy new years..

Dan

Thats was probably so the overheat system would work (cylinder cutting), I have seen EA injection ran directly on a supercharger in a 1.8L TG gemini (my cousins) and it made 260bhp (with bottom end work) and running an EMCAS (i think thats the name of it) computer.

Edited by Trev