Paintin A Ke55 Helpp

johnycaps

Members dont see this ad

preparation = 99% of the work

painting is the easy part!

you could bog up, smooth and paint a rolla for around $1000 if you worked along with someone.

the unfortunate effect of new paint is that it highlights any bad body areas, so that small unnoticeable dent

now looks like the grand canyon.

to be honest with you panel beating / body repairs are a fine art. most panel shops will try to replace panels or weld new ones in before trying to straighten panels fully, ie file finish them with no filler.

else its the common straighten it as much as you can and use filler to finish.

thats why a overrated car is worth a lot more than an average one. people complain as to why a overrated car is twice the price of an average one, not realising that to fix an average car to the same condition is about 4 times the price or more lol..

it comes down to either how much you want to spend or what finish you want.

and also theres many combinations of methods and materials for painting which different people use for their way of painting a car to their liking, many which achieve the same outcome.

preparing a car can be anything from a super rusted dented ground up rebuild to a super straight rust free respray wipe over job...

the paint job can be anything from a external shell spray to a complete engine bay / underbody / internal sprayjob.

some aspects:

what is the car like

what type of paintjob do you want

how much do you want to spend - $1000

what skills do you have

what equipment do you have

what facilities do you have

you need to give a load more information, a good idea is to buy a book on painting a car which includes all the nesassary information for you to make an informed decision on what you want, then it will be easier to give you

technical information and advice.

good books avaliable from automotive bookstores in your state, online, friends or maybe the library.

Edited by styler

ahh thanks mate thats really helpfull

well i just want the shell painted

i have about 1 grand to spend

not nuthing spiffy just average

ive tried boggin up the cutout rust spots

i don't have much tools at my house

I'm a first year mechanic apprentice

and just a simple white paint ( easiest colour)

thanksmate your reallly helpful

to be honest with you panel beating / body repairs are a fine art. most panel shops will try to replace panels or weld new ones in before trying to straighten panels fully, ie file finish them with no filler.

Just to clarify, there is no such thing as "file finish with no filler". If possible panel are replaced, even then unless your car is post 90s even the new panels are not straight enough for a good job. In ALL cases the panels are staightened as best as humanly possible sometimes using heat to shrink and stretch metal. Filler is then applied and sanded to attempted perfection. The next phase is 'spray bog', this is a filler sprayed over the whole car and when rubbed correctly fixes any remaining imperfections that the hand applied filler missed. To rub this off normally takes 1-2 weeks. This is how show cars are done. If anyone with an older show type car tells you there is no filler in it, laugh at them, because even from factory the panels are not straight enough for a show finish.

no you can file finish, i do it all the time but only on small dints, no fun on dents

the extra time it takes is still half as long as it takes for bog to dry, if you do it right you don't even need highfill primer

(i learnt of this grumpy old italian fellow, he was a master, but a little..... angry, i learnt fast)

The hell you can't.......

I watched a master do this without bondo or any kind of primer/filler short of an epoxy sealer

I watched him pound a dent in an old fender, then try to teach me how to shrink and form it back to its original shape barely filing any metal at all.

Pissed him off when I told him his "art" was a total waste of time in the 'real' world

so the conclusion is?

Grab the Yellowpages and look up some panel shops in your local area. Drop in or give them a call. They are the best ones to speak to as no Melbournians have suggested any places that definately do cheap resprays.

Edited by kangaroosa