Need A New Daily/project. Thinking Ke70???

Maztrix

Hey,

Looking at selling my current project and buying a KE70 for a daily/driving project.

There is a minter down the road for sale for under $1,000 and i just wanna know how easy it will be to modify it.

Just a few Questions

..Is there a good year/model i should look out for or are they all the same?

.Whats it like fitting 17" in wheels to these? are they 4x114.3? what offset fits best?

.Whats it like fitting AE86 after market coil over front suspension, strut brace and any other upgrades for the front.

.What engines are in these? I guess it is a 4K or something like that

.What are the stock brakes like and what is a decent upgrade as it may be a rotary down the track

Thanks

Daniel

Members dont see this ad
Hey,

Looking at selling my current project and buying a KE70 for a daily/driving project.

There is a minter down the road for sale for under $1,000 and i just wanna know how easy it will be to modify it.

Just a few Questions

..Is there a good year/model i should look out for or are they all the same?

.Whats it like fitting 17" in wheels to these? are they 4x114.3? what offset fits best?

.Whats it like fitting AE86 after market coil over front suspension, strut brace and any other upgrades for the front.

.What engines are in these? I guess it is a 4K or something like that

.What are the stock brakes like and what is a decent upgrade as it may be a rotary down the track

Thanks

Daniel

One of the mods will very shortly direct you to the FAQ... but until then...

Ke70's are all the same bar interior spec, minor cosmetic update in 84 to slant front. Body style continues into AE71 with 4A engine (easier 4AGE conversion, Ke70s are slighty trickier, but not too much)

17's can fit, with spacers. All 114.3.... 15's with 0 offset are much more practical and imo more visually appealing though, and it won't tramline and jiggle all over the place like 17's will make it do. They're inherently squirmy in the rear end.

AE86 suspension stuff bolts straight in... slight differences in steering components apparently (only going off what I know at this point, I've upraded my struts, brakes and lcas etc but haven't touched steering.)

All 4k

Brakes work fine.... once.... then overheat and never work the same again. :) Upgrades are easy.

I'm doing the rotary convo in one of mine... soon....series 5 13bt.... relatively easy but obviously custom engine and gearbox mounts etc...

RX7 gearbox may require slight massaging of the tunnel to fit but rx4 box fits fine apparently. The diff WILL explode on the first hard launch.

Hehehe.... there will be a project thread... just nipping (no pun) over to japan to purchase an engine or two first.

But as a teaser, its a 70, its wrx prodrive blue, and it will wheelstand its way to an 11sec 1/4 without breaking a sweat.

It will also have air conditioning and be quite pleasant to drive to the shop for tim tams.

Cheers for your help.

I know abit about rotaries so if you need help/advice to get you into 11s the don't hesitate to ask for help.

RX-5 box should be the same legnth as most pre FC boxes and the FC+ boxes can be modified to be the same legnth.

There is a 13Bt KE70 in perth kicking round, the mounts look very easy, bolts onto the stock x-member i think.

G/box is a peice of piss.

Is KE70 floor the same height on both sides?

What is a good diff upgrade? and how will the stock diff hold up welded with the stock engine and lots of abuse?

Seriously thinking about getting one of these and putting my Cosmo 13b Engine, LTX-8, Hi flo turbo, external gate and custom manifold on. Should make a very easy 200rwkw on low boost. That should see it into the low 11s at least with decent driving and traction.

Thanks

Daniel

Cheers for your help.

I know abit about rotaries so if you need help/advice to get you into 11s the don't hesitate to ask for help.

RX-5 box should be the same legnth as most pre FC boxes and the FC+ boxes can be modified to be the same legnth.

There is a 13Bt KE70 in perth kicking round, the mounts look very easy, bolts onto the stock x-member i think.

G/box is a peice of piss.

Is KE70 floor the same height on both sides?

What is a good diff upgrade? and how will the stock diff hold up welded with the stock engine and lots of abuse?

Seriously thinking about getting one of these and putting my Cosmo 13b Engine, LTX-8, Hi flo turbo, external gate and custom manifold on. Should make a very easy 200rwkw on low boost. That should see it into the low 11s at least with decent driving and traction.

Thanks

Daniel

Awesome. Glad you rocked up dude :) I keep getting hisses and boos when mention rotary here at the moment :)

I'm pretty sure the floor is even.... (just had a look under and it seems so)

As far as diffs go I think the only thing that will handle rotor ponies is the hilux... quite a common swap there's plenty of tech info floating around. Drifter guys use them a lot in 86's too... and LSD's to suit are comparitively cheap (if the diff you get doesn't have one already) or you can use an ARB airlocker or similar offroad gear

Stocko welded diff will hold up for a while...like AE70 said the gb will munch itself first. They're not the most sturdy unit when frequently hammered but they're cheap as chips to replace.

why don't you go for an ae71 instead alot easier than a ke70 as a base project in the long run and they go for pretty much the same price

Ok ill keep my eyes out for one, for all i know the one down the road could be a AE71, diddnt know they existed till about 2 days ago :)

Cheers

Daniel