Help Wireing An Electric Fan..plz

Ke70_SR20

Where in the engine bay should i tap off the current for the fan? Now it should work when i turn on the ignition.

I have a relay but i just want to know where i can tap the current so the fan can come on when the ignition comes on... Plz show a pictuer..

I tryed to hook it up to my coil and when i arriveed home from the test drive and turned on the ignition back on the fan wouldnt come one then as soona as i taped the relay it started to work.. So tomoro iam going to buy another relay but i want to make sure i don't burn that one too..

post-2824-1171495435_thumb.jpg

post-2824-1171495467.jpg

post-2824-1171495502.jpg

Members dont see this ad

Ok, for a start, having the fan on for the whole time is gonna use a lot of power.

So my suggestion is - why not use a thermo switch so you can adjust at what temperature the fan comes on?

You'll also need to use a relay as well. Its the most sensible way to wire up a thermo fan.

as raven said, you don't need it on the whole time.

yeah adjustable thermo switch is easy to do as the sensor just slips inside the top radiator hose and is adjustable, no mods needed.

or you can use a set thermo switch which needs to have a mounting nut brazed onto the radiator and it screws in, many ranges avaliable but not adjustable.

you can hook up to ignition circuit so it turns off when the car is stopped (best method) or battery if you want it running when car is stopped, not that it would do much cooling of the engine as the waterpump is stopped, it would only really cool down the radiator and the engine bay a bit i guess.

use a relay for both methods and decent wiring.

nice battery clamp :jamie:

way I wired mine up is just with a switch on the trigger wire to the relay.....it the needle rises a bit much for my liking I just flick the switch. With commo radiator (same size as yours) only time it ever needs flicking is in a busy drive through or maybe peak hour traffic. Oh and it gets turned on before I wanna cook the shite out if it!! :jamie:

heres a pic of the dash:

100_0470.jpg

Thermo is the switch on the left, also have a green indicator light to remind me that its on. :wink:

really easy to pic up a ON ignition source in the dash, if you can't find one, fuse box is always an easy source!

On your relay:

pin 30: battery feed (fused)

87: +ve output to fan

86: ignition +ve (make sure you don't use the ballast resistor side as voltage wont be high enough to switch the relay

85: can either be ground, if u want it on always with ignition; or have it from ground thro a switch like the other guys have said so when gets bit hot switch it on

most likely the reason its not workin now is stuffed relay or you have hooked it up off the low voltage side of the ballast resistor

dave

• 1 month later...

use a thermo switch or you will keep cooking wiring, relays, fuses and fuse holders. trust me.

plenty of info on wiring a thermo fan if you google it.

tazrx, can you send me some more pics of that dash build and how u did it etc

looks just like what i wanted :)

edit, just realised its not in a ke70...hmm. owell, still interested in how it was done...

Edited by love ke70