My Te37

Jonny Rochester

Members dont see this ad

Strut brace is custom, I made it several years ago.

I'm working at Jadamzic Auto where the dyno is.

When I finnish uni and get some office job in ten years time, I will send the old corolla to some bodyworks and have them respray the whole car. The only TE37 part I don't have is the chrome trim on the bonnet, which I did find in Malaysia via e-mail, but didn't have the money at the time. Other parts I don't need if I keep the KE55 dash. I plan to keep this car forever, will fix eventualy.

If the motor ever blows up propper, the next rebuild will be 2 litres and near 200hp. No reason for that yet.

I have spent the last 2 years only buying parts for the AE86.

My car has very simple specs. It would be easy to copy. Basicaly TE37 spec with some sports mods. Here is the info:

Engine:

2T-G 88222 head

block, crank, pistons are 3T-C. Pistons cut alittle bit to suit 2T-G valves.

crank and flywheel balanced

2T flywheel machined on the lathe, down to 6.5kg

Reground cams at about 305 degrees (this is the main trick)

Irridium spark plugs

2T-GEU distributor and igniter (I use coil and ignitor off Holden Shuttle, as its ND and plugs in)

Stock radiator tanks changed to 3 core.

Gearbox:

T50 from TA22

standardish heavy duty clutch

Tailshaft:

TA22 item shortened

Crossmember:

Modifyed to suit 2T as per Toyota manual on my webpage.

Carbies:

Solex from early 70's 2T-G, with factory 2T-G manifold and linkages

Exhaust:

2"

Front struts:

Corona shortened strut, HiLux 4 spots, vented disks, coilovers, 6.2kg/mm, short stroke.

Rear:

Complete diff from RA23 Celica, welded for leaf springs. TRD 2-way LSD. Koni shocks. Rear sway bar from late KE55. Front swaybar from late KE55 (its bigger).

shit man thats not really that much work for that much power!

any idea of the compression..?

how much diffrence do you recon the cams made? ive got a 290degree cam with extra lift for my 4ac, I'm not to sure what thats like with the 4ac and i know its diffrent with single cam..

also is that a single down draft solex? how big is the throtte/s do you know?

I feel silly repeating myself on different forums over the years... but thats ok.

The idea is to have a complete TE37 Levin, or as much as practicle with a KE55S shell. I often am made to feel silly saying this, because most people in Australia believe the first Levin was a 1998 model AE112 with a 7A-FE. And I am just a little boy putting late model AE112 stickers on my old car!!!!

I have a complete Levin badge set for the 1975-77 TE37 Levin, which I got new in the Toyota packets from Japan. (Not on the car untill I have it resprayed and I have a garage.)

The only other parts I want is the chrome strip for the bonnet, plus bodywork and a respray.

The genuine TE37 Levin had different stiching pattern on the black vinal seats and door trims. The centre console extended further back. There was a foot rest. The early KE30 dash was used with triple gauges (tacho, etc), plus oil pressure gauge and others. (I have a tacho dash I made myself with Celica tacho). The Levin had 13" steel wheels (I have these out the back, same as T-18). The Levin had struts and front brakes similar to Celica (I have coilovers with 4-spots). The Levin had a quicker ratio 16:1 steering box. (I have quick steering with modifyed steering knuckles).

And if you don't know what a 2T-G is, look it up...

They have sidedraft carbies, solex mikuni brand, 40mm diameter throttles. 4 throttles!

Compression works out to be about 10:1 or 10.5:1 not 100% sure. That is with standard 2T-G head, and 3T-C pistons with the pistons cut just a little bit on the exhaust side to clear the valves. 2T-G has bigger valves than 2T/3T. I used 86mm pistons, 1mm oversize. I have used premium 95 fuel.

The main rule of thumb with these engines, especialy with 2 valve and not reving past 8300rpm, is that for a 1800cc motor you will not get more than 180hp. For a 2 litre you will not get more than 200hp. With a 4A-GE the head design is better and you can get 200hp from a 1.6 litre (I plan to do this with the AE86).