Holy Spirit: Ae71 - New Motor In Development

beerhead

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the ugly rust holes are treated and bogged, not really too worried about quality of the job :jamie: Won't be too bad though. Cross fingers the new 2 1/4 exhaust will be going in on Friday. Will do the roadworthy with standard suspension, I'll swap the good gear over later. I'm really gonna have to invest in some new rubber too, I think grip will be a problem.

Cheers for the hookup for the cheap highflow cat Trev, $135 is a pretty good price.

All the ugly rust holes are treated and bogged, not really too worried about quality of the job :jamie: Won't be too bad though. Cross fingers the new 2 1/4 exhaust will be going in on Friday. Will do the roadworthy with standard suspension, I'll swap the good gear over later. I'm really gonna have to invest in some new rubber too, I think grip will be a problem.

Cheers for the hookup for the cheap highflow cat Trev, $135 is a pretty good price.

No worries mate, Let Matt know if you still need a tow and i will see what I can do.

• 1 month later...

I've decided to get a ute as daily driver and turn the AE71 into a something a little different, this car won't be registered, drag and drift hack FTW!

After months of research and planning, this is the creation I'd like to make.

I want to build a 5S-GTE stroker turbo for it, I really love the 5S motor, been daily driving one in the camry for years. Despite what people say, they are alot stronger than you'd think, mine see's 6K rpm daily and has 340000Km's. I can still outrun a manual V6 dunnydoor to 130kph, and that was before the industrial grade injector cleaner.

I'm sure you'll think I'm crazy. It'll be a 1 1/2 year build at the least, and don't expect any change from $8000 on the motor. I plan to do it in stages to let me get a higher than 0 : 1 drive : build ratio in the next 6 months(Like mk1 silvertop :wink:)

I'm going to talk to my engine builder see what he thinks, but this is the final plan -

Block

-Late gen 5S block

-oil galleries ported to 3SGTE size

-bored to 88mm

Crank

-Late gen 5S counterbalanced crank (8 stud) offset reground bigends @ 48mm to increase the stroke.

-Knife edging process

-balancing

-Cyroforging treatment

-ACL race mains

Rods and pistons

-Custom built rods to suit 48mm bigends, 3SGTE forged pistons and pressurised smallend bearing.

-4AGE ACL race series conrod bearing

-Custom Forged piston 88mm bore

Heads

ST205 Heads(for bucket and non TVIS reasons) if I can afford them, ST185 if they're cheap

-Heavy Duty valve springs

-1mm o/s valves

-Tigh Cams custom 260-270 turbo cams 9.6 - 10 mm lift with under shim buckets

-Port job by one of the best in the business

Intake

Ported 3SGE manifold with Cut runners before the standard plenum.

suzuki GSX 1000 20002-2006 Tapered ITB's 50mm top 44mm exit

Intercooler

Custom top mounter water to air intercooler with modified plenum on the outlet side feeding the ITB's.

The plan is to have no pipe lag in this motor

Turbo and manifold

I've got a flange coming from the US, custom top mount manifold will be made.

Big ugly BB job rated at around 400-450hp @ 15psi

Mk 1 will be cheap as they come :P

With this setup you end up with 88 x 94.5 motor, 2.3L to be exact. If my builder doesn't like it. 50mm Bigend makes 2.27L, 51mm(3SGTE) makes 2.26L. Crud rod ratio for an atmo motor but boost should solve that problem. Unless I find a drag master to mate 2 blocks and get really long rods :D

I want a motor that will come on boost really early, make amazing torque and not have to see more than 8000rpm to make huge power. Dyno 2000 is estimating 500 flywheel hp @ 8000rpm, if I can make 400 I'd be over the moon.

What do you think think of the idea? Any rollaclub members engine builders by trade, I want your input!

Edited by beerhead

nice ride mate.. you should crank a larger radiator.. the ae82 corolla rad will work with the existing hoses but has to be mounted customly..I'm sure you can work it out.. its a nice fit... a cooler engine is a great thing... :P

5S with mods does make big power, and yes they are pretty strong;

But if you want to make *REAL* power, id be heading to your nearest 3RZ half cut. Seriously, for a 2.7, 4cyl twincam, from stock they lay a good punch lol. And if your going to spend that much on a motor, i don't think you'd realize *just* how much you would squeeze out of a 3RZ. Eg. Guys in the states turbo them for 800 hp, and drag the farkers. :P

I haven't really thought about going that avenue yet. I'm researching a fair few motor choices, I dare say I can ge ta VVTI one too :P

I'd have to do some major research don't know much about them, I've heard alot about them spinning bigend bearings like they're going out of fashion.

Wow I didn't even consider the 3RZ-FE, been reading up and they seem to be a great motor 95 x 95 , another square toyota motor. I don't know how the rumour of spinning bearings started, but with the right work you could make one pretty strong. Not sure where I can get cam's for them, Tighe Weld and grind FTW, probably work out cheaper than a 2.3 5S, and be 2.7L !!

Only real advantage of the 2.3 stroker is you could potentially house it in a 2L block :dance:

The torque gains going from 2.3 to 2.7L are massive! Time to go price one I think.

Edited by beerhead

I've been pricing it up, it'l be about $3k for a 2rzfe 2.4 or $4k for a 3rzfe 2.7 - VVTI $5K cause there too new!! Without the gearbox

For that sort of money I'd have a 2.26L 5S fully forged bottom end infront of me. If a see a really well smashed Hilux 2.7 at the auctions its an option, but I'm leaning towords making this work in a 2L block.

2RZ-FE are the 2.4 generally from the Hi-ace vans. They are non-vvti. A small version of the 3RZ-FE in the hilux basically.

3RZ-FE are the 2.7 in hilux's (in AUZ anyway) - they are also Non-vvti.

The 2TR-FE is the *new* VVTI 3RZ-FE. They are alot cheaper, and nastier than its old dad. No where near as Strong, according to internal sources.

I know someone with a 3RZ-FE and wiring loom in there garage :y:.

My Vote -> Get the 3RZ-FE, have some fun. don't do it to a 2TR-FE. Although the new hilux's are alot heavier and the same frame as the parado yada yada yada, the old hilux with the 3RZ really has some poke & would outrun the new series any day of the week. Ive been driving a customers one for the last few days, Auto as well *lol* - and boy does it pack a punch for an auto 4cyl. Hahah, and the day before that was a new aurion. Sucks having 200KW to play with.. 2GR-FE F-T-W :y: !

Oh, as the ALL OF the new Hilux, i mean Tilux is made in a 3rd world Asian country, I'm sure you'd like to put some 3rd world-quality into the Holy spirit. 3RZ's on the other hand, Most- of them are JDM baby :dance:

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get a 3SGTE import motor, build a custom turbo manifold and bung in it. ST185 Half cuts are $2000 bare engines are $1500, quite cheap for what you get. I reakon it'll hammer stock. ST141 gearbox's are cheap as. It'll give me time to build up a fresh bottom end whilst still being able to have some fun.