How To Fit A W50 To A K Series Motor

Taz_Rx

Yes. mine is a hydraulic one and suits the late big bearing t50 (ae86 ta60 )

One from a early ke35 would fit a early small bearing t50 ( ta22 )

http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.p...p;highlight=t50

sO IS THER MUCH DIFFERENCE IN POWER HANDLING CAPACITY OF THE BIG BEARING ONES TO THE EARLY ONES.

And will a T50 fit into a KE10 tunnel.

Hope you don't mind Si just trying to get some info for us both

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

S'all good Matt, some interesting (for both of us) little things popping up in this thread now.

Don't know about tunnel clearance in a ke10, nothing a hammer won't fix though!! :jamie: :y:

Here's something else top bare in mind though: the big bearing t50's (ae86) have a shifter position to that of a ke70 k40/50, where as the earlier ta22 ones will line up with the original ke1*-ke55 shifter hole.

Doubt there'd be much strength difference between them, all just t50's. reckon any T box wil be strong enough for us any day of the week anyway if they run them behind 253's etc!!

Can I get you to hang onto that for me for max of a week then James??

Pictured bell housing is still in NZ, have now been offered a couple so will have to look at some options, advantages etc and I'll give you a deffinate answer.

Actually you may be able to help a little more in this process!! I need to find out what sort of clutch, fly wheel etc I will need to run with this combo. Would the clutch you mentioned with the box bolt onto a k? if you don't know, any chance you could go check for me? by the sounds of it, its not like you don't have them all laying about!! :jamie: :y:

sO IS THER MUCH DIFFERENCE IN POWER HANDLING CAPACITY OF THE BIG BEARING ONES TO THE EARLY ONES.

And will a T50 fit into a KE10 tunnel.

Hope you don't mind Si just trying to get some info for us both

don't know which is strongest but guessing for big bearing ones. There was probably a reason for toyota to change them.

They are all old worn gearboxes now anyway, but one from a 2t powered carina would most likely have had an easyer life than one

from a thrashed 4age ae86.

Some of the celica t50 have the shifter pos k70 style as well. My 76box does, so look out.

If you use an early box , you can use your old 20 spline driveshaft. Big bearing boxes have 22 splines on outgoing shaft .

T50s are not much bigger than a k40. "Gearbox" part of it is a bit longer so if your ke10 tunnel doesn`t become narrow just before

shifter pos. it should fit.

couple more piccies.....

DSC03139.jpg

DSC03138.jpg

DSC03137.jpg

This is the exact bell housing I will be buying. since its so clean from being bead blasted I think I might have to do some polishing before it goes in! :hmm:

Come on SI thats going a tad too far on the bling don't you reckon. :S

don't know which is strongest but guessing for big bearing ones. There was probably a reason for toyota to change them.

They are all old worn gearboxes now anyway, but one from a 2t powered carina would most likely have had an easyer life than one

from a thrashed 4age ae86.

Some of the celica t50 have the shifter pos k70 style as well. My 76box does, so look out.

If you use an early box , you can use your old 20 spline driveshaft. Big bearing boxes have 22 splines on outgoing shaft .

T50s are not much bigger than a k40. "Gearbox" part of it is a bit longer so if your ke10 tunnel doesn`t become narrow just before

shifter pos. it should fit.

Ok cheers for that ive been offered a T50 or two,one is from T18 the other is AE71, so not sure which one to get cause my shifter is like a KE55 position i think.

Edited by madrolla68

• 5 weeks later...

Ok guys, thought I might give you all a bit of an update on were I'm at with the w50 upgrade.

The Bellhousing I pictured is currently on its way accross the Tasman, should be here this week some time!! :bash:

Pickup a w50 on the week end thanks to Jamesrolla....but I'm a little unsure about the bolt pattern now, when I picked up we realised the w50 has 7 bolts to the bell housing, not 4 like whats on the bell housing, see pic below.

100_1005.jpg

But since James was easy on a return policy I took it anyway. I'm thinking that maybe 4 of these 7 bolts WILL STILL bolt to the bell housing. I have circled them below.

bellhousing.jpg

DSC03137.jpg

Actually looking at the 2 pics like that, it looks very possible.

Next thing I am going to have to sort out is the clutch issue.

This bellhousing still uses a cable in the hiace so that bit is easy, just need to use the stock ke55 cable and clutch fork.

The actual clutch it the hard part!! :cool:

The input shaft of the w50 is much bigger than a k40/k50, can see in above pics, however the spiggot shaft does look about the same.

As the km20 bell housing also still uses a stock k starter motor I am restricted to using the k flywheel. The ra40 (which the w50 is from) has a flywheel that is to big for a k bellhousing, so I can't use this even if it did bolt on.

So at this stage I think I have 2 options:

1, get a custom made clutch that has the diametre of a k clutch, but the input spline of a w50.

2, modify the k flywheel to take the ra40 clutch kit. This would included machining a bigger clutch contact area on the flywheel, and also re-drill and tapping holes for the pressure plate to bolt to.

The problem after that is then going to be the throw out bearing!!

I was planning on using the k clutch fork, but weather this will even fit over the w50 input shaft we will have to see! if it does i will then have to modify the w50 throw out bearing retainer to connect to it, but looking at the above pics they seem to use the same wire clips.

If this doesn't work I thought that maybe you could machine out the middle of the k throw out bearing retainer enough to clear the w50 input shaft, but I doubt it has enough meat on it!!

Will now have to wait for the bell housing to get here to work a few things out, but will have a play with clutch fork etc tonight.

Will keep you all updated as I go. :y:

Hi,

Si just a though. Get the Toyota EPC and have a look at the part number of the shaft on the W50 box that came in the van with the 5K and 7K and see what a shaft is worth. Also at wreckers they sell W50 boxes out of those vans for like $150 to $200ish so could you just get one put a floor shifter in it not column shift and presto bolt onto a K motor no bell housing stuffing around?

As the box you have has 2 bolts up the top that are closer together. On the nice clean bell housing pic you have it doesn't have these 2 holes or by the looks enough metal to accommodate the raised part of that gear box so could dirt get in?

As Id say a wrecker take a whole box off a 5K and much easier swap. Then you can grab its clutch plate and see if a shop near you has a similar one..lol

Cheers

Cameron

Hi,

Si just a though. Get the Toyota EPC and have a look at the part number of the shaft on the W50 box that came in the van with the 5K and 7K and see what a shaft is worth. Also at wreckers they sell W50 boxes out of those vans for like $150 to $200ish so could you just get one put a floor shifter in it not column shift and presto bolt onto a K motor no bell housing stuffing around?

What sort of a gear box up grade would that be though. I'm doing all of this to try and get away from the weak strength of a k box. Can't see the hiace column shift boxes being much stronger than a k40/50!!