How To Fit A W50 To A K Series Motor

Taz_Rx

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

KM20 liteace clutch fork, boot, TOB, and TOB retainer turned up yesty :)

100_1076.jpg

The clutch fork actually has a socket in the end of it and looks like it was actually for a hydraulic clutch not a cable (see pic), but this won't be a drama, I'll just mod the end of the cable to make it attach.

100_1077.jpg

Below you can see the boot and fork installed. Note the pivot points for the TOB retainer is now centred to the shaft! :D

100_1081.jpg

and with TOB and retainer installed.......

100_1082.jpg

After realising that the stock KM20 TOB and retainer actually fit over the W50 input spline like a glove.....I decided a bit more research into clutch packs was in order, as I was starting to assume that a KM20 liteace clutch pack was exactly what I needed with a corolla sized clutch and pessure plate (on KE flywheel) with W (actually G series) input spline!!

So off to the local Burson I went this morning and this is what I found.....

KE COROLLAS have a 180mm clutch plate with a 21.5mm/19T input spline. (21.5mm is the diametre of the input shaft, with 19 splines)

RA40 celicas (which the W50 is from) are 225mm/29mm/21T

So what I ideally need is: 180mm/29mm/21T

KM LITEACES do indeed have the 29mm/21T input shaft I need, but the use a K flywheel with a 200mm clutch plate

KR42R TOWNACES (7KE/7KC) also have a 29mm/21T shaft, but they use a K flywheel with a 215mm clutch plate

SO, I am now on the search for a KM20 or KR42R flywheel, which I would assume will still bolt to a K motor the same, but have the bigger contact areas for the bigger clutch plates.

If anybody is interested I priced clutches while I was there:

KM20 Liteace. PBR kit - $185, RPM heavy duty kit - $225

KR42R townace. PBR kit - $185, RPM heavy duty kit - $230

Also just on tailshafts......I picked up an RA40 2 piece tail shaft on the week end. Haven't played with it yet, but I think it should be pretty straight forward to just split the uni joint and put the RA40 output spline onto a normal KE tailshaft. As the K40/50 and a W50 are exactly the same length, no shortening or lengthening will be necessary. :)

HELL NO man, thats just there for test fitting etc at the mo. When you buy a clutch kit you get one anyway, so I will deffinately put a new one in. :jamie:

Hey Si cause I'm a dumb prick can you PM me all the shit i need to get to do this.

P.S no Flywheel, want me to check the wreckers.

Yeah no worries, I'll pm ya soon.

Yeah if you can find some 7k flywheels off the townies our EFI came off, that'd be awesome. Only thing I'd like to check that if the 7k flywheel is the same diametre as a 4/5k one so it'll fit inside the bell housing. Reckon it would be though. KM20 lite one would be a prob, cause thats what the BH is from.

• 3 weeks later...

:) :cool: :P :lolcry: :lolcry: :lolcry:

Picked up a KM20 liteace flywheel and clutch yesty IN LAUNCESTON!! :dance:

So I will be updating this thread very shortly as I now have everything I need to do the conversion. Just waiting to get a tail shaft back. :yes:

• 3 years later...

Long time, no update. Just so people know I have not used this gearbox yet. Not long after getting it complete I ended up buying a K-T setup which is now in my turbo car "Tar".

The K-W50 setup is sitting on a sheft and will hopefully be installed in another car soon.

• 6 months later...

Just letting people know, the KM20 clutch cable has a thread on the end, with a rubber bush that sits in the cup on the clutch fork.

Ideally, you want a KExx clutch cable with a KM20 end on it. Places such as Flexible Drive Agencies will be able to do a cable to your own specs.

• 10 months later...

That bellhousing is definitely a K-W50... Technically, it'd be to a W40, or, if it's out of a townace or early liteace, it's a weird abomination of a gearbox that has a 4 bolt pattern, which, as you theorized, lines up with 4 bolts on the W50...

They should also be cable clutch too, so a save on effing around with hydraulic.

Don't quote me, but I've been told they take a larger flywheel too... Not sure if it's a necessity to have flywheel to suit, or if it's just the friction surface that is larger...

I got one laying around the house...