Ae71 Lsd Diff Center?

Members dont see this ad

The standard AE71 diff is a Borg-Warner unit, and to my knowledge there isn't an LSD centre available for that particular one. The simplest solution would be to switch to an AE86 T-series diff with the LSD centre, but you'd be looking at about $1,200-1,500 for a complete assembly in good condition. An R31 diff (also a Borg-Warner but a much larger one than the standard AE71 one) would seem like overkill with just a standard 20v. I think they're cheaper than the AE86 diff, but not by as much as you'd think, as the EA Falcon and VL & VN Commodores all use the same diff, so all the Falcon and Commodore owners want them as a bolt-in LSD for their vehicles.

The standard AE71 diff is a Borg-Warner unit, and to my knowledge there isn't an LSD centre available for that particular one. The simplest solution would be to switch to an AE86 T-series diff with the LSD centre, but you'd be looking at about $1,200-1,500 for a complete assembly in good condition. An R31 diff (also a Borg-Warner but a much larger one than the standard AE71 one) would seem like overkill with just a standard 20v. I think they're cheaper than the AE86 diff, but not by as much as you'd think, as the EA Falcon and VL & VN Commodores all use the same diff, so all the Falcon and Commodore owners want them as a bolt-in LSD for their vehicles.

cheers mate, thanks for the info. It seems like allot of money to go there :S

in my opinion a t-series would be more than strong enough to cope with the power of a standard 20V

t-series came in local t-18 models in 2 version kouki and zenki, kouki coming in the seies 2 t-18 has slighly stronger axels than the zenki, lsd centres are available for both.

the t-18 version of t-series came with drum brakes that with a freshen up will be good enough for most aplications. the jap spec disk brake t-series are much more expensive, the factory centres in them will probaly be warn, parts are harder to find for them etc..

yea it depends how hard your going to be on the diff, a t series could work with an lsd but might snap axles, you could go f series to be sure

A piano might fall on your head aswell but the chances of that happening are slim.

• 2 weeks later...

20v's arent that much more powerful than a 16v.

as said before.........theres more chance of a piano falling from the sky whilst playing fur elise magically and landing on his head. theres heaps of people drifting ae71's with just a welded locked diff... havent heard of any of them breaking, let alone a t-series

ok you will all mouth me, but my hilux diff build up is cheaper than most of you would expect,

complete diff from 4 runner $51

lsd center eBay score $200

4.3 ratio crown and pinion $100

r31 disk brakes $50

all i need now is a mate to do the mounts, get the axles machined down and ill do the brakes myself, this should be a $200 job MAX

That is a bargain.

As for the strength of the standard AE71 diff, my KE55 with 4A-GZE has gone okay with the same Borg-Warner diff in it. I did break my first, but that was cause I was trying to do a burnout and the torque made the axle tramp all over the place and broke the spider gears. I now have a diff from an auto KE55 (4.3:1 ratio instead of 4.111:1) which is welded and I haven't had any issues in the 18+ months or so that I've had it in there. And remember it's torque, not power that breaks diffs and transmissions. The 4A-GZE has 200Nm vs. the 145Nm of the standard 16v's and 160Nm of the 20v's. That's a significant difference.

I know a guy with a JDM 4age ke70 running a stock welded borg warner and he is skilled drifter, Torque snaps axles and breaks centres, But it depends whether your a clutch kicker or use the cars wieght.

• 4 weeks later...