Gear Oil / Diff Oil

How often do you guys change your gear oil and diff oil, if you change it at all?? My first has just started being troublesome and it bounces bak into neutral, sometimes its harsh sumtimes its soft and i don't notice till i hear my revs and i go nowhere lol. I asked a mate if i should start sussing out another gearbox, but he said first try a oil change. If i was to change the oil how do i do it and how much would i need?

its a ke55 also if that helps.

Edited by Calam05

Members dont see this ad

Okey doke! by the sounds of things i would get a couple of opinions of why the box is jumping out of gear, I'm not very clued up on the specific workings of them, i just change them if something goes wrong with them lol! and the oil issue it says in the workshop manual to change the diff oil and manual transmission oil every 40,000 kms. Same goes for automatic transmissions as well. I change mine every 20,000kms because i think the oil would break down if it was left in for 40k kms.

manual transmission quantity-1.7 litres

automatic transmission-4.7 litres, service refill 2.3 litres

diff-1 litre

hope this helps?

Should be a drain plug on the bottom of the box somewhere. To fill, ive just whipped out the shifter and poored it in that hole. can't remember if its the speedo cable hole or another hole in the RHS of the box you fill until the oil comes out of it. Obviously you need to put the speedo/bolt back in :sob:

• 2 weeks later...
How often do you guys change your gear oil and diff oil, if you change it at all?? My first has just started being troublesome and it bounces bak into neutral, sometimes its harsh sumtimes its soft and i don't notice till i hear my revs and i go nowhere lol. I asked a mate if i should start sussing out another gearbox, but he said first try a oil change. If i was to change the oil how do i do it and how much would i need?

its a ke55 also if that helps.

maybe your detent springs are week and not holding it in gear??? don't think oil has much to do with it!

Mine used to jump out of 1st and 2nd gear. Turned out to be a bolt had fallen out of the gearbox crossmember, so the the box was leaning over and the shifter would hit the tunnel and knock itself out of gear during heavy launches.

The only time i change the gearbox or diff oils is when i break them. Thats about 1 every 7 years so far.

i put my new oil in today, i think it actually goes a bit quicker in low gears, but the problem of gears slipping didnt get fixed, it doesnt slip every time now, but my mechanic says probly a tooth broken or sumthing. ill live with it, hill starts are hard cos i gta hold it in first...and my hand brakes falls down as well lol.