Urgent: Input Shaft Bearing Puller

Hi,

Today I was on the last leg of installing my 5K into the KE15 and the 5K is missing the small bearing that goes into the crank and supports the front of the gearbox input shaft.

Now I need this bearing as the weight of the clutch plate makes the input shaft slightly sag and over time this will cause wear and when I engage the clutch it will be off center and make the car run bad.

So i am wondering Where can i get a puller to get this bearing out of the crank? As I have a 3K here with a brand NEW bearing and I now want it out of the 3K so I can put it into the 5K.

Cheers

Cameron

P.S. Does anyone know the bearing part number or size eg 608? So I could even possibly buy a new bearing?

Edited by camerondownunder88

Members dont see this ad

I've used the method Robert described on a few occasions. Works well. Just use a bolt with a similar sized thread as the internal diameter of the spigot bearing.

A word of advice, make sure you hold the bolt with a pair of multigrips while swinging your SST1 (big f'n hammer). Not good if you smash your thumb with a 1kg hammer, whilst your hands are covered in grease. LOL!

I find a MUCH easier way than the grease method is to pack in behind the bearing with wet news paper!! use a spare imput shaft if you've got one (clutch locator) and just keep packing more and more paper in there, you'll be surprised how much you use! When I say wet, it doesn't have to be drenched, just dunk it, and give it a light wring out. you might need to use a hammer to pack the paper in well with the clutch locator too. :bash:

it's called a spigot bearing.

Maybe just get a new one ... I bought one from CBC Bearings in Adelaide for a 4K a while back - cost me no more than $20 if I recall correctly.

No mucking about - they had a listing for it and all.

cheese,

Slapper

Edited by slapper

Hi,

Slapper just a note, I have the original Toyota factory yellow books for my KE1X and it calls this bearing the "Input shaft front bearing" But you are right I have heard most people call this a spigot bearing.

But I was told tonight Repco In Ipswich have 4K ones on the shelf so I will pop down there on Saturday to see what I can get as a 5K uses a 4K crank so will fit.

But heres the hard part. The previous owner of this 5K had it rebuilt then I bought it. Obviously he tried to remove the spigot bearing and did this:

post-1811-1180957461_thumb.jpg

He left eh outer race of the bearing in there. I also would say he tried removing it but couldn't as the motor I got it in a KE55 he was fixing up to drive around so it was in the car with no bearing to. Which leads me to think he couldn't move it so in went the motor.

So The other day after noticing this the 5K install halted into the KE15.

So who has an idea on how to remove this? As the Toyota yellow book has nothing on this and says the location for the bearing in the crank has to be interference fit, no scores or scratches where it sits. So makes removing an issue.

I was thinking if I could cut a small section out then the bearing race could compress together then slid out easily. Then it hit me hard as metal so prob wont cut easily.

So does anyone have an idea on how to remove this bearing?

Cheers

Cameron

I think cutting it could be the best way to do it BUT the outer race is a VERY hard metal as I knwo the balls in this type of bearing are surface hardened steel balls so the outer race would be friggin hard so cutting it would blunt a lot of blades and id opt for a propper cutting compound rather than CRC.

But I also did use copious amounts of WD40 on it the other weekend and tried pulling it out and nothing happened. As a interference fit should be made to 0.001 thou of an inch difference between parts so yeah no luck there.

But Cutting also imposes another problem, The shape of the recess behind the bearing doesn't leave much room for a blade as the design of the lip the bearing sits on in the crank is right behind it then the hole tapers down to a point.

But what does everyone think about getting a cold chisel and trying to cut a slot in it carefully? The main though I get is the axial thrust loads placed on the big end crank bearing could this do any damage to it?

Cheers

Cameron

grease method will get that outer race out too, i have used the method on many aplications, just pack with grease well.

Find a shaft that fits well even an old socket and extension will do if you have nothing else. keep packing with grease repeat the operation rubber grease works the best.